Jim Laabs

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by funkybish, Mar 19, 2001.

1. funkybish

Mar 2, 2001
    Has anyone heard anything or had any experience with the Jim Laabs basses?
  2. Texbob

May 16, 2000
    Tulsa, OK., USA
    Hi Funkybish,

I purchased a 3/4 carved "Hamburg" bass from Jim Laabs a year and a half ago.
    It's Korean made with spruce top and maple sides and back. Since it was my first Double Bass, I didn't have a point of reference to compare it with any other basses. I was told that I could return the bass if I didn't like it.
    I ordered my bass and was told it would be shipped to me in about a month. The time it took to get my bass turned into about 8-10 weeks.
    They supposedly had a problem getting the full order from Korea, so I had to wait.
    They did however throw in a stand and a string upgrade, and paid for the shipping.
    Troy Laab is the guy I dealt with, and it was overall a good experience.
    The bass sounds good, plays well (after a setup), and it was a great bass for the money.
    I've probably played over 250 dates hauling it around in a gig bag. It has held up very well and has some very minor scratches and dings from all the traveling.
    I would buy another bass from Troy, the price was excellent, plus I got a gig bag, stand, horse hair bow and strings.
    It took longer than expected to get my bass, but it was worth the wait.
    If you do call Troy, tell him I recommended them.
    Peace, Tex in Tulsa
  3. nickchalk

Jan 30, 2001
    i also bought a hamburg model about a year and a half ago and i guess we both had the same problem with shipping.

i have been told it had a surprisingly big sound for it's price.
  4. Texbob

May 16, 2000
    Tulsa, OK., USA
    Hi nickchalk,

So how do you like your Hamburg bass?
    I've had great luck with my bass, after I spent a few more hundred $$$ setting it up.
    I had bridge adjusters installed, planed the finger board, sanded down the neck, and went to a D'Adario Solo Set tuned EADG, so I have less string tension. My band plays 3-4 nights a week and I do a lot of slap, jump, swing stuff.
    The strings still sound good after 7-8 months of constant playing.

Let me know how your bass is set up.
    Best of luck.