Jim Sheppard: Sanctuary/Nevermore

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    After a long hiatus, I'm rediscovering my metal roots by listening to alot of Sanctuary and Nevermore.

I'm really digging Jim Sheppard's style, especially on the Sanctuary records. A metal band with bass fairly prominent in the mix, it's refreshing even if they broke up in 1990. Sheppard and Ellefson are probably my favorite metal bassists. They make metal interesting for us bass players.

Respect for Jim Sheppard. :bassist:
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Although I like Nevermore's music a lot, I have to say that I don't think Sheppard is very prominent in the mix, he only seems to be playing the guitars along...I heard the new album yesterday and I heard very little bass. Might have something to do with the fact that they have 2 huitarplayers now.
  3. I remember seeing Sanctuary with Megadeth and Warlock in 1987 or '88, and Jim Sheppard had a broken arm, but he played anyway. The cast on his arm had "PAIN" written on it in huge black letters. They were a good band. Warrel Dane was quite the frontman.
  4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    He's not so prominent in Nevermore, but you can hear him well in Sanctuary. Now that they have two 7-string guitar players, he kind of has to take a back seat.

But watching him on stage, he's still getting quite the finger work-out.