Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jimi Hendrix' Hagstrom 8-string Bass Guitar.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhilM13, Oct 30, 2004.

1. thats cool, i have a jimi hendrix live on the BBC, and the radio guy says that noel is playing either an 8 or a 12 string bass (i can't remember), so i bet he was looking at that one!

Charlie

2. I was in a hard rock cafe in Boston last spring and they had an 8 string bass on the wall that said it belonged to Jimi Hendrix.

3. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I used to own one for a while, years ago. I had no use for it though, and the strings are very closely spaced, so I ended up selling it again.

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    a couple years ago they had that at the EMP in Seattle. i went over there when they were putting it in its glass case and a buddy of mines dad that worked there let me play it. pretty sweet. i was only like 13 but it was still pretty cool.

5. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    According to an interview that Noel Redding gave, that red eight string was given to him by Hagstrom who wanted the Experience to become endorsers of the brand by giving both Redding AND Hendrix each an eight string bass. Redding wasn't very enthusiastic about the instrument though.

"They are impossible to tune properly and because of the high action very difficult to play."

Regardless of that, Hendrix himself liked the sonic capabilities of the eight string and used it on "Burning of the midlight lamp" and on "1983 a Merman I would like to be"

Redding and Hendrix Basses can easily be told apart, Hendrix'bass was transparant red while Redding's was a Candy apple red solid color.

[​IMG]

Here in Europe Hagstroms aren't really a rare sight, at Vintage fairs they are really common but most of the eight string basses that still survive today were converted to four string basses with plugged holes where the tiny tuners used to sit.

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I just acquired one of the 2249 hagstrom 8s that exist and it's still an 8. i didn't know they were that rare until a few minutes ago...

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I had a mint sunburst one in the early 90s. Action was very low.