Jimi Hendrix. The Band Of Gypsys kicks the Experience's butt

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JWC, May 22, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I recently have gotten a hold of some Band Of Gypsys recordings of Jimi Hendrix. That stuff is so much better than the Experiece's material. Not that it suckes, but the Gypsys were too bad!! Anyone else agree?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    BoG was technically superior to Experience, though I hear that Billy Cox was high during the entire time...
  3. I think all of the later Hendrix albums were much better then the early ones. In the early ones he wasnt allowed to go his own direction, and was made to make simpler pop songs. Compare those songs to the ones on Electric Ladyland! First Rays Of The New Rising Sun also kicks!
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How 'bout the best of both worlds?
    Personally, I like the Hendrix/Mitch Mitchell/Billy Cox trio...
    "Band Of Experience"?
  5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Man, who wasn't high back then?
  6. Oh yeah, not to put the original band down, I think the Mitch Mitchell/Billy Cox phase was awesome, and way ahead of its time. but I think Hendrix grew more creative as an artist as time went by (probably due to increased drug taking as time went by...)

Thats for sure. I dont want to sound like an advocate for them, but the drugs sure led to some awesome music! I dont think its changed today. I think the majority of people who actually write their own songs and music have a little chemical help.

7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I would hope that artists could create from their mind and heart rather than from a freakin needle/doobie/pill... whatever.
  8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Yeah the old music you listen to you know the dudes were trippin' acid and smokin' pot. But this new, terrible pop music...you'd think they were on crack.
  9. I like Band of Gypsys a lot, but Axis: Bold as Love is definately my favorite Hendrix record. It's got the hard rock (Spanish Castle Magic) and the R&b flavored ballads (Little Wing & Castles Made of Sand). In my opinion the best Hendrix album he put out.
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My initiation into Hendrix started with Band of Gypsys. I'm not as fond of the early stuff as many Hendrix disciples are. In fact, my favorite recording is probably Cry Of Love. You have to remember that Billy Cox only played for one person in his whole career, and that was Jimi. They were in the Air Force together, and Hendrix had a little band with Cox there. Cox was recruited in the ashes of the Experience. I much prefer the textures and layers of the later Hendrix over the early experimentation.
  11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Why wasn't Cox asked to be in the Experince??
  12. I was lucky enough to see Bob Dylan a couple of weeks ago and he played All Along The Watchtower, only he played the Hendrix version! It was awesome! Bob Dylan covering Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan!
  13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Love the signature man. Anyone who quotes lyrics from the song Waiting For The Sun is alright with JWC.
  14. [QUOTELove the signature man. Anyone who quotes lyrics from the song Waiting For The Sun is alright with JWC][/QUOTE]

Hey JWC! thanks man, it is a brilliant song isnt it, and that line is so eerie when he sings it. One of the most underrated songs ever I think.
  15. Yeah, I pretty much agree. BoG was just so much more.

Anyone ever heard Hendrix's album Before London?

That has some wild WILD stuff on it. Used to have it, but it got stolen when some punk smashed into my car :(

16. I'm with you gweimer, my first Hendrix album was Live at the Fillmore East. I like just about everything he's done, but his later stuff is still my favorite.
  17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I love the band of gipsy's thats my favorite period of hendrix. somethin aout all that space bein opened up in the rythm section, the music just breathes better to me.
  18. I like a lot of Jimi Hendrix's stuff... mostly because I was around when he made it, and although I was quite young, I was savvy enough to know that the man was doing something very different. And that's what made me pay attention.