Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jimi Hendrix

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Moonraker, May 8, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Yeah I know he's a guitarist ,but this is concerning bass. I've heard Jimi played bass and pretty good to on some of his recordings. Does anyone know which tracks he apparently played on or where I could find out about this query. I'm sure this is'nt just some rumour because I've heard or seen it mentioned before. Thanks in advance.

2. Here's a pic of Jimi's 8 string Hagstrom bass with which he recorded sessions with Curtis Knight in 1967. Don't know song titles, but I'm sure you'll find something on the net if you search for Hendrix & Knight.

[​IMG]

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Curtis Knight and Hendrix on bass? I'll have to try and find some of those...

Anyway, I know that Jimi played a lot of bass on the Electric Ladyland album - Noel Redding, the Jimi Hendrix Experience's bass player, got pissed off with the somewhat unusual recording practises that Hendrix favoured (i.e, filling the studio with groupies and dealers - nice!) and often sought sanctuary in the pub. During this period, Hendrix played bass on, amongst other things, All Along The Watchtower.

To be honest, I'm not sure what other Electric Ladyland songs he played bass on, and I know that Jack Cassidy also played on the album, but I do know that it's a good album to start with if you want to hear some Hendrix basslines.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...awhile ago(3-4 months?), somebody posted a most excellent link that went into great detail about Hendrix & bass; I'll try the search engine here & attempt to revive it.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Not exactly the topic, but just for info: Other lead guitarists that have recorded bass are the late Randy Rhoads and Ace Frehley. :)

6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Jimi played bass on "1983" from Electric Ladyland.

7. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Thanks for the replies , by the way did'nt 'Electric ladylands' album cover have a bunch
    of naked women on the front. I never see that album cover in no shops but just a surreal picture of Hendrix's face seems to have replaced it. Was that cover banned or something?

8. "All along the Watchtower" was another one Jimi played bass on.

9. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Electric Ladyland's original cover design was banned by the US label. Don't know if the original concept--the nude women cover--was released in the UK or not.

That album did feature Jimi on bass on several tracks (which others have identified), and indicated a disaffection, I think, with Redding's playing as much as Redding's disaffection for Jimi's production quirks. Soon after EL, Jimi was reunited with his army buddy, bassist Billy Cox, in the Band of Gypsys, and at that point Jimi had found a bassist in whom he respected and trusted musically and personally. Noel was a guitarist playing bass and wasn't particularly soulful. Cox allowed Jimi to move in the more jazz, funk and R&B flavored direction that he adopted on the later recordings.

Don't get me wrong. I did and still do enjoy the Experience. But as a bass player, Noel Redding didn't exactly groove. Mitch Mitchell's playing always had that jazz feel. I've always felt that Redding was the weakest link in that trio.

10. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Especially, Steamboat, when you hear the remixes of Cry of Love (as part of the First Rays of the New Rising Sun CD). The bass is much more up front, and Billy was doing things I never picked up on when I owned the original vinyl.

11. now that's freaky...

12. First Rays is a really good album. It's a shame Jimi didn't live long enough to see it all the way through.

13. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    The only tune I've always had a problem with is Isabella. That song seems a mess to me. Way too cluttered, nothing to grab onto. Dunno. It's rare for a Hendrix composition to fall completely flat for me, but that one does. And I don't care who played bass on it.

14. Have you heard the Live at the Fillmore East version of Izabella? There seems to be a lot more energy in that one.

15. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I think Redding was appalling! If only Hendrix had played with a competent bass player, I think he would have been much more content and creative. Noel's bass playing lets Hendrix down on nearly every single tune he played on. Even Billy Cox didn't quite groove to Hendrix' standards, he was good, but . . . I'm not talking technical ability, just someone who could groove with Hendrix' rhythms would have lifted it. I love Jimi but, what a pity . . . .