Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jimi Hendrix

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jul 27, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ok, I know this is a bass forum...But for the past few days i've been deep into one of my quarterly Hendrix rediscoveries. I've been listening to Band of Gypsys- live at the Filmore East for the past 2 days. The version of "Machine Gun" (my personal favorite 'drix song) on this cd is phenominal. Its one of those songs that sends shivers up my spine. Billy Cox & Buddy Miles hold it down w/ the rhythm and jimi's guitar just screams.

This current Hendrix phase was brought on by a new documentary I just saw entitled simply- Jimi Hendrix. A fantastic portrait of the man, his rise & fall, an the sheer phenominon that he was. Watching him play is just mind blowing. Everytime you see the guy w/ a guitar he's completely in the zone. I can only recall maybe once or twice where I felt like i was totally in the zone like that. Seems like he just lived there. Something almost spiritual goin on when he's playing.

My conclusion, Hendrix was one of the coolest human beings to ever walk the earth...that dude chilled hard.

Post any thoughts, comments, favorite songs, etc...about the legendary Jimi.

2. I feel that his experimental side is just a shadow to his talent. what I mean by that is people don't know him for his experimental side with de-tuning,amp effects,etc they just know him for his taletened guitar style and his need to burn his guitar.

of course,thats just me.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Jimi Hendrix played music that some people liked, and some didn't, and may have had a profound effect on music of the next 25 years; but the hyperbole is a little crazy here.

Some amazing human beings have walked this Earth. Hendrix sure as hell was not of the coolest of all.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    A lot of Jimi's torment was the lack of support from the black community, He so much wanted to be accepted by his own people that it frustrated him till the day he died.

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Just my opinion, everybodys got their own. Note, i didn't say "the coolest of all" i said "one of the coolest."

Edit: But what is more important, and amazing to me is how deep into the groove he was- every time you see him playing. Its like he's on cloud 9...completely in tranced by the music he's playing.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That would be the narcotics my man :(

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    lol :rollno:

8. Sadly I think the drugs affected him live a lot. Ever heard that Star Spangled Banner? If I went up there and played that, I'd be booed then flogged, he plays it, it's gold. Live he wasn't so great allt he time, but an amazing musician nontheless.

9. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    There are those who write songs and those who write rules. Hendrix was a rule maker. What he did in five years surpasses what nearly every other in music has done in a lifetime. He certainly raised the bar on guitar to the point that he's never been equalled. His death was most probably an accident, but he was a casualty of the drug scene. I think his drug use is overemphasized.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...at Woodstock? If so, then I would say it was 'great', right-on-time, & fit the mood totally of an early morning wake-up call for those souls that stayed until the bitter end.
    Yes, it is Noiz-y; Hendrix was experimenting with sound in a sonic sense...not necessarily in a tonal sense.
    The Noiz factor spilled between '60s New Thing/Free Jazzers AND '60s Rockers.

As far as you/me being booed & flogged-
    The 1st person that compared "Love to a rose" was a genius...the 2nd person to do so was an idiot. ;)
    ...and Rock-Pop audiences of the '60s were definitely more open to about 'anything', IMO.
    ;)

I recall reading that Miles loved "Machine Gun" off that Band of Gypsies album.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    One of my favourite artists of all time. Period.

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    The man was a messenger from another planet/world.

13. A huge inspiration to me.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I only heard the radio cuts and the Woodstock performance.

I've like what I've heard. I'll probably buy an album one day.

15. I have a great amount of respect for all those he played with as well as the man himself. It takes an insane mind to put things together musically and sonically as he did, but sometimes it takes a greater one to take those ideas and help form songs and listenable music. The rythme sections hendrix played with were beyond solid and did an extraordinary job grounding (and not shackling) a free spirit on his instrument.

16. There's a difference between "noiz" and sh*t. It's crap and hendrix fans can't admit it because their beloved Jimi would never suck that badly during a song.

17. The 14 year old that knows all about all music has spoken.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Whatever.

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Looks like somebody is willing to fill up the NtB vacancy.

20. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Definitely. Listening to the Band of Gypsy's stuff lately, Billy Cox and Buddy Miles hold it down so well. Simple grooves, totally in the pocket. Mixed with the contrast of jimi's unconventional playing style creates such a unique sound. Come to think of it, most of hendrix's stuff is like that.