1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jimmie John's Review

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FingerDub, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I know the last thing needed here is another sandwich thread, but YOLO.

I had been wanting to try JJ's now for a long time and I just had it for the first time today and it's already my favorite sub. Priced better than Jersey Mike's, more meat, super fresh, great flavors. The bread was super soft, and just really enjoyed it. I had the Italian. Good ratio of ingredients, where there wasn't too much bread or too much vegetables. Would go again 10/10 times. Best mainstream sub IMO.

jimmy_johns_italian_close.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    #9 with peppers, salt and vinegar chips and a Coke. Best lunch ever.

D M C and Pacman like this.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    And it's Jimmy John's

tkonbass and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Um, gosh. The bread tastes like Wonder Bread, and you have to prevent them from dosing it with slimy white stuff, aka mayo. To each his own. I thought it was kinda bland and stodgy. Just saying. Better than Burger King, so it will do in a pinch.

bassdude51 and DWBass like this.
  5. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    You like hard bread then?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I didn't like the bread either.
    I suppose it's fine for the younger crowd on the go, but I want more depth of flavour in my subs.
    I'm also from central Pennsylvania where subs are way different than out here. It's serious business back home.

-Mike

DWBass likes this.
  7. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

There is one here in San Francisco. I agree that the ingredients taste fresh. The quality is there but to me they are uninspiring. I do get a sandwich there sometimes.
    We are spoiled food snobs here probably because there are so many great choices.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I tried them once......................................................ONCE!

Was nothing special about the sandwich. Actually kinda small. Was pricey for what you get. I can go to my local WAWA and get a way better sandwich for less money.

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Never had one, but I think their radio commercials are quite novel.

10. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

Fond, fond memories of that place. At some locations they'll sell you yesterday's bread for fifty cents, so in my late teens they were my go-to for lunch even when I couldn't afford an actual sandwich... Which was most of the time.

These days I'm faring a little better, but I do still thoroughly enjoy their sandwiches.

--^@

11. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    What's a WAWA?

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wawa - Home Page East Coast regional corporartion. Gas and Food for travelers. Prepared food is top of the line and affordable.

13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I miss the good old days when up here in NY there was an actual delicatessen in any decent size town and for $5 you'd get a sub that could easily feed 3 grown men. I remember complaining that there was too much meat and cheese, now I lament there isn't enough. It was standard practice for every deli to load you with enough meat to heart attack the world. Those places outside of NYC are mostly gone and to get what you would get 15 years ago would cost you close to $25 now. Even the legit NYC delis have slimmed down their offerings to keep their prices low. The advent of the chain deli has set a new standard, I think. If there's gonna be more bread than meat/cheese, it better be the best damn bread money can buy, and I have yet to experience even nominally good bread at any chain.

FronTowardEnemy and MJ5150 like this.
  14. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Like JJ better then Subway. Not quite as good as Tubby's.

15. I like Cousin's better, but JJ's delivers. I've only had it once, but I will be having it again.

16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I don't like squishy dough. I like bread with a lot of flavor.

petrus61 likes this.
  17. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    They aren't "gourmet" sandwiches, but they are way better than subway. We don't have many choices around here so JJ's is probably the best we have. I'm not a huge "hot sub" guy so if I want a sandwich this is where I go. Kids like it too so that's a big plus for me.

18. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    They deliver and they do it fast. The sandwiches themselves are pretty much average, no better or worse than any other chain.

I know the specialty shops have better subs, but I've never seen one that has a better sub for a cheaper price. Most of the local shops are just ridiculous on their prices. If I want a really good sub, I make it myself. But unfortunately, it's rare that I have the ingredients on hand.

19. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I'm talking of the chain stores. I like JJ's the best. There are always the small shops though that are better and there is a place from my hometown that bakes their own bread, a small italian deli. It's hard bread, it really kills with the sandwiches, crusty top, softer bottom. So I get what you mean @Gaolee @MJ5150 You can see it in this pic, plus the sandwiches are HUGE. $13 but worth it.

o.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I think that Jimmy John's is substantially better than Subway--better bread, better meat. I don't go there much because I'm spoiled for choice working in downtown Chicago. But I don't mind grabbing lunch there now and then.

Luke19Boarder likes this.