Jimmie Lee Sloas & Tommy Sims

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Sep 8, 2004.

1. The other day I dug the (don't laugh) Garth Brooks as Chris Gaines CD out. I hadn't listened to it for a good while as I've been listening to more Patitucci and Wooten lately. The bassists on this CD are Jimmie Lee Sloas and Tommy Sims. If you'd like to get a good dose of some of the best vintage Fender tones with a healthy serving of R&B/Motown licks (plus some unbeleivable other stylings) you'll ever hear, pick this CD up sometime. Anyone know more about these guys?

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, both of those guys are big Nashville guys who have played on tons of Christian albums. Tommy Sims is also Bonnie Raitt's bassist and both of these guys have branched out from just Christian music significantly in the past few years. Actually Sims has been playing on a lot of secular stuff for a long time. They are both very tasteful, grooving players.

brad cook
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tommy Sims is also a in demand producer, he did some nice work with Micheal McDonald. He also can rock, he did the 1992 Bruce Springsteen tour, and sounded great! I haven't heard about him hooking up with Bonnie Raitt yet though.
  4. Tommy Sims has a solo album called "Peace and Love" that is one of my desert island CDs. It's too bad more people haven't heard it.
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Isn't Jimmie Lee Sloas playing on the new Megadeth album? They don't sound like a good fit for a guy who does tons of Christian albums... :meh:
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Tommy is awesome - he went to my church when I lived in Nashville. "Peace and Love" is a great album...
  7. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I remember seeing him at a place in Nashville called Douglas Corner and he was playing with a band called Marcus Hummon and the Redwing band. he was using 2 heavily modified jazz basses. Both were painted sparkle colors and had P/J barts...his solo was killer. He then went on to play modulus basses....
  8. He did play a Modulus Q5 while on tour with Michael W. Smith. He is now back to Fender. He has 2 heavily modified Fenders. One red and one silver sparkle. And then his old sunburst 60's J. Jerry Jones built the modified basses if I'm not mistaken from specs of his old J. He mainly plays the Fenders nowadays. And records mostly through an Avalon U5. Check out Keith Urban's "Golden Road" album. That's Jim!
  9. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    If you can get a copy of Margaret Becker's "Soul", it has Both guys on it, playing VERY tastily! Also, Stretchcat is right, check out "Peace and Love" by Sims, and hear a project by a bass player who knows how to produce the groove!
  10. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    THen there was 'Dogs of Peace' that was all about Jimmie Lee....it rocked...
  11. SnakeStone77

Jan 15, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Tommy Sims and Jimmy Lee Sloas have been two of my favorite bass players since the 90's. Their list of session work on great CCM albums is a long one. I have about 15 albums that they played some tasty stuff on. Tommy Sims has been my all-time favorite bass player since the 1988 Whiteheart "Freedom" album. Of course, back then, I was only allowed to listen to christian music... Cue trombone.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Tommy Sims produced Israel Hooughton's "Power of One" CD. He played on all but one track too. It is a great CD, even if one is not into Christian music, it has some fantastic grooves on it.
  13. Jackie Street is (was) right there with these two guys... Check his lines on DC Talk's "Jesus Freak" alongside Sloas
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ah, 80's CCM! I saw Jimmy Lee Sloas with the Russ Taft. Great player even back then. Jackie Street also did a bunch of Russ Taft stuff including the medals tour, he was playing Yamaha BB's back then. Tommy Sims has been a favorite of mine for years. I met him when my band opened for Whiteheart back in the day (I doubt he remembers). He has since had some major credits as a player and producer.

My favorite playing of his is his playing on Charlie Peacocks "Secret of Time" and "Love Life". He also is quite a songwriter. He wrote the Clapton hit "Change your World" when he was sixteen. He's toured with Madonna, Springsteen, but mostly he's producing now a days. I can't find a U-tube clip of him on the bass.
  15. I think you're thinking of James Lomenzo.

I had that album at one time, and I agree Jimmie's playing was very tasty. :bassist: