1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jimmy Bain (ex Rainbow)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MinorPentatonic, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Good day to one and all....I've been listening to Rainbow Rising, their second album from 1976, and Mr Bain strikes me as doing a very professional job, nothing flashy, just keeping the groove going with the late great Cozy Powell drumming and I wondered (a) anyone know what he's doing these days and (b) without dissing anyone here, many of you who've been playing a long time, does his "workmanlike" (I use that word carefully) playing make him a good bassist? He must have been good enough to play with Blackmore in the first place. Any responses welcome. :confused: :help:

2. I dig Jimmy. I saw him live once when he was playing for Dio. He is rocksolid, his timing seemed perfect and has one of the most amazing live tones i ever heard.
    He aint a flashy guy though...he was playing outdoors and seemed to be starring at the stars in the sky then what was going on with the crowd, which i thought was amuzing in an odd way, but still was perfect in his playing and tone despite he was easily distracted(maybe he was drunk, he used to have a drinking problem from what i hear).

Last word was Jimmy left Dio in 2004 to work on other projects and then Rudy Sarzo took his place in Dio.
    I think Jimmy is doing studio work for bands now is what i hear.

3. I've always thought he kinda flew under the radar a bit considering that he's played / toured with alot of amazing musicians. Of course, he more or less disappeared after he left Dio in the 80s until recently so that didn't help. Anyway, I always thought his recorded tone on the early Dio albums was killer.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

He's a solid rock bassist. Wrote alot of lyrics in those bands, too.

Rob