Jimmy Blanton Recordings for Transcription

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by pickerpete, Feb 21, 2010.

1. I'm sure this has come up but kindly bear with me. Could you recommend some recordings that would work well to develop some Jimmy Blanton transcriptions as a personal learning tool? Also, if there are some existing transcriptions out there, published or non-published, I'd be obliged.

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Mr. JB blues is a good one. The Bass Tradition has a couple of transriptions of Jimmy's.

3. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Todd Coolman has a book "The bass tradition" which has several Blanton transcriptions. Go to the Aebersold site to find it. Great book.

4. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Pete.

http://www.amazon.com/Solos-Duets-Trios-Duke-Ellington/dp/B000002W2W

Buying this record will not only get you all the duets with Duke, it'll get you the alternate takes, which provide a lot of insight into how the performances were constructed, and what was improvised and what was not...

http://www.amazon.com/Never-No-Lament-Blanton-Webster-Band/dp/B00008J2IX

This record has his band performances. Jack the Bear is the famous one everybody learns. On these records you can hear Blanton's time feel walking, rather than just his soloing, which was a primary influence on Ray Brown, and you can really hear their connection.

Looking further at the Blanton-Webster band disc, it looks like they have some of the duets as well. I still think the other record is worth getting for the alternate takes. (I have the Blanton-Webster band stuff on vinyl, so didn't notice till now...)

Have fun with it,
    Brent

5. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pitter Patter Panther duet with Ellington.

6. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Jack the Bear! (Blanton-Webster Band multi-disc)

7. Thanks folks much appreciated. I'll be checking it out. Keep a good groove goin'

8. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021