1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jimmy Bruno No Nonsense Jazz Guitar

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nic salsus, Apr 14, 2010.

1. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Just watched Jimmy Bruno's No Nonsense Jazz Guitar and highly recommend it. He cuts through to the basics in a way a beginner can understand and a more accomplished player can appreciate. Something I see with a lot of players trying to get a grip on playing jazz is the feeling they need to know a million scales and chords before they really know how to use very basic diatonic and melodic minor harmony. Jimmy demystifies it with clear examples and real down to earth delivery. And he'll scare the crap outta you with his total mastery of what he's talking about. His fingering concept for scales is also very applicable to the bass guitar.

It was a bit of a revelation to be reminded by a truly phenomenal player that music is not that complicated and there aren't any problems 8 or 10 hours of practice a day won't solve.

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    A bit of trivia: the guitarist accompanying Jimmy on that video is Rich Raezer, the original maker of Raezer's Edge cabinets.

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Well, duh...

4. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    You really think it's that obvious to most people? I don't. Look around this forum and you won't see much evidence it is.

Febs, thanks.
    I was wondering who the other guitarist was. Rich (rest his soul) sure built some great cabinets.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Irrespective of whether or not it's an obvious solution, for most people it's an unrealistic solution. Who's got 8 - 10 hours of time to practice each day? Kids who live off Mom & Dad... anyone else?

6. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    A college age student who's made the commitment and accepts being poor for a few years?
    An older guy like me who has set himself up to be debt free with a low overhead?
    Anyone who wants it badly enough?

It's not like you're signing your whole life away either. A couple of years of this kind of commitment is enough for a lot of people to get to where they're playing as much or more than they're practicing. That's my personal experience as a student 30 years ago and what I've seen with others too.

7. unfortunately it is reality that the guys who find the time for more practice will develop and those who have to take day jobs will have a steeper climb...we've all marvelled at some of those youtube phenoms from time to time but what those clips don't show is all the hours of hard work they have put in.....

8. 4Strings46

4Strings46

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Jimmy is a great Jazz guitarist. He does lesson articles for Just Jazz Guitar Magazine.

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    FWIW, I've had his first 2 trio CD's for the better part of 20 years. This man is truly a scary, scary player.

10. joel3000

joel3000

Feb 22, 2010
    Davis, CA
    I took his online lessons for a while. They were well worth it. That's when I really learned the fretboard. It was only $60/quarter too, much cheaper than live lessons, and more convenient.