Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jimmy Eat World

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by purple_haze, Mar 21, 2002.

1. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I don't know how many of you will be familiar with these guys as I don't think they're very big in the U.S, but they're starting to break out round here so I bought a copy of their Self Titled album (known as Bleed American before 11th September) and I was actually quite surprised.

Judging from the singles, I expected mainly catchy 3-chord punk fare, but this really only makes up around half the album. The other half is just this side of Radiohead and Counting Crows: very catchy acoustic straight-ahead pop rock. I found it very refreshing, and track 6, "Hear you Me" is the most beautifully sad song I've ever heard

The bass playing is...solid, I guess: nothing to write home about, but there is a cool line on track 4, "Your House".

Downers: The singer went a tad overboard with the echo effect on the vocals, and sometimes he tries too hard to be Thom Yorke, which is something he's just not cut out for. Describing his voice, I guess it'd be Dinosaur Jr's J. Mascis, but with a Southern accent.

Any other Jimmy fans here? Agree? Disagree?

2. Actually, they're huge over here. "The Middle" has been all over the radio for months.

As for the singer, well, they're still sorta emo, so the whole Thom Yorke-wannabe thing isn't surprising.

3. I like them...good band in a sea of Blink 182s and Sum 41s.

4. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    1) Interesting, I've not seen them mentioned on Internet message boards or on any of the (little) US MTV I do get to watch.

2) Emo sans whininess, I guess.

Bassline1414 - My thoughts exactly!

5. I like the "salt sweat, sugar"/FKA "Bleed American" single a lot.

"the Middle" to me sounds reminiscent of The Cars' "You might think"- the chugging rhythm, the vocal style and the quiet middle 8 with electronic sounds.

6. Personally I like "Authority Song"
    I'm not a big emo fan, but I'm impressed with Jimmy Eat World. A lot of major label pseudo-punk/emo bands just try to make over-produced clones of Blink-182 riffs, but JEW are actually pretty inventive and seem to put a lot of care and effort into each one of their songs. (as opposed to just focusing on one or two songs that will be released as singles)

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If they sound almost as good live as they do recorded, I'd buy a ticket (and I'm so old, I saw the Who on their first national US tour). Very solid writing and a tight sound.

Ever check out The Living End??? They don't sound just like Jimmy but they do a nice job recycling punk and writing catchy hooks, too.

8. JEW used to be on Capitol, but Capitol dropped them thinking that they weren't commercially viable. The last album, Clarity, is very late 90's emo - chimey guitars, sensitive boys vocals, etc. After Capitol dropped them (and quit sending them shett music), they took their own money, hired Mark Trombino again, booked studio time to make their new record. Once Bleed American was mixed and mastered, they took it out shopping. So they did this on their own. Good for them.

The drummer in my last band is friends with the JEW guys, and says that they've worked really hard to get where they are. This new album is a lot more 'radio freindly' than previous efforts, but once you hit your late 20's, it's nice to eat every now and then.

9. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Let me just put a word in on this thread...

I went to high school with a couple of the guys. I had a few classes with their previous bass player (he quit the band to go on a church mission way back before they were really big).

Anyway, I'm really proud of these guys seeing as how they're a home-town act that's really done a lot for themselves. (Key thing being they did it all themselves). Capitol basically screwed them over, but they didn't let that bring them down.

They've gone far with their own blood, sweat, and tears. It sounds cliche, but it's true.

There should be more bands out there working as hard as these guys are.

If you don't have their "Bleed American" (I think it's just called "Jimmy Eat World" now) album, go get it... it's really good.

For a while, it was selling for about $7 or so at Best Buy, it's a bit more now, but it's still worth it.

10. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I went to see them play this past January, and they were really good live. They were so good that I'm going to see them again when they play in May.

11. For all those people living in canada..

i saw JEW's Bleed American Album for $10 at Music World..

$10 cnd !!!.. it's $5 US!

12. I have just got back from seeing them live, they were great. I love their band (not necessarily a big emo fan) but i think their songs are the best. Perfect example of how a band can be unskilled/unflashy/basic with their respective instruments and still make great music

sim

13. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    i quite like the chorus for that sugar on the asphalt song, other than that i wouldnt say they were doing nayhitng relatively exciting

14. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    y JEW are cool, theres only about one other person i know who has heard of them though. they deserve more than what theyre getting, real meaningful songs.
    later
    Lukas

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Clarity is amazing. It is such a moving album I dont know where to begin. You should all hear it.

I haven't heard any of their new stuff yet, but from what I understand, its less emo and more rock.