Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jimmy Garrison -> Greg Cohen

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by trajectory fish, Feb 25, 2006.

1. A realy neat thing happened while listenning to my mp3 collection on random play. There is a nearly seamless transition from track 3 on 'A Love Supreme' to 'idalah Abal' on disk 3 of the Bar Kokhba Sextet performance - volume 11 in John Zorn's 50th birthday series.

For those of you with less time on your hands, that's a Jimmy Garrison solo straight into a Greg Cohen solo. At first I thought I had stumbled upon a special extended version of ALS, their sound (or at least the recorded sound) is very similar.

BTW, Greg Cohen is definitely my favorite musician right now. It would be great to hear from some more who are into his playing.

Thanks!
    -Bennett

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I saw him with Ornette not long ago, and he was wonderful. Very hadenesque!

3. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I'm also a big Greg Cohen fan. First heard him playing with Toom Waits on Swordfishtrombones. I ended up buying one of his solo albums, Way Low which is a terrific album, Dukish in a way. His soloing and support are beautifully displayed on this record. Theres also another great record with mandolinist, I hope I have his name right, Jamie Masefield and Gil Goldstein. They do some tunes from Tom Waits, Neil Young, RadioHead, Django and Leonard Cohen. I think it's called the deep forbidden lake. Great album, great music.

4. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I'm also a big Greg Cohen fan. First heard him playing with Toom Waits on Swordfishtrombones. I ended up buying one of his solo albums, Way Low which is a terrific album, Dukish in a way. His soloing and support are beautifully displayed on this record. Theres also another great record with mandolinist, I hope I have his name right, Jamie Masefield and Gil Goldstein. They do some tunes from Tom Waits, Neil Young, RadioHead, Django and Leonard Cohen. I think it's called the deep forbidden lake. Great album, great music.

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    do you like greg cohen, abaguer?

sorry, couldn't resist, I know it was childish.....

7. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Artie likes GC three times.

I like Greg only once, but I don't think my once is so small...

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ

:D

9. ummm. . . aanyway. . .

Thanks for the replies! and now for a rediculous question. Does anyone know how I can find out when and where he'll be performing? Also, I heard that he teaches somewhere, though I'm sure I'll learn plenty by transcribing his stuff. I've tried searching with google, but not much luck there.