Jimmy Haslip on BET jazz

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Aug 25, 2005.

1. The only reason I still have digital cable here is because of this great channel. A show called studio jams featured what I belive is the Yellow Jackets. Sorry never really listened to thim till now. But I at least knew who Jimmy Haslip was. Impressive group. Anyways the reason why I posted this. I was amazed by Jimmy playing the bass. His bass was strung with the C on top!! Whatever works for him. He made that bass sound nice. For a few songs, I dont know if it was how he plucked, but it sounded like an upright, had a nice walking groove. Has he done anything else besides the Yellow Jackets?
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Great bass player, one of my absolute faves. And the Yellowjackets are often underrated IMO. Since their beginnings, they've become jazzier, more sophisticated, and overall better.

Haslip has done some session work, but the only credit I can call to mind off the top of my head is Bruce Hornsby.

He also has a couple of solo records. I own one, called Arc, which has some great Vince Mendoza compositions but is out of print, I think. I forget the name of the one he did after that, but my understanding is that it was more Latin-inflected.
  3. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Check out "Brother To Brother" by Gino Vanelli. It contains one of the best bass solo's ever recorded. Done in the late 70's or early eighties I believe. I've been hooked on Jimmy ever since.
  4. Check out his version of Jaco's "Continuum" on the Word Of Mouth Revisited CD by the Jaco Pastorius Big Band.

The intro to that song is about as beautiful as it gets. The chords and runs he does are brilliant!
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    beat me to it Chris!
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    One of my idols. Will that be rerun? I have to check.

I have seen them live 3 times. Got pics at my site. He's a great player and a gret guy.
  7. Yeah I'm sure it will be on again. The flecktones minus futureman were on there. And I've seen that one twice. For all you Wooten fans it was chance to see Wooten do some studio work besides the Making music video. What bass does Jimmy use. I belive it was a Roscoe right?
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beat me to it...that's the 1st album I owned with Haslip(IIRC, it is late '70s).

Leon Gaer also plays bass on that album. I'm thinking Gaer played the solo...I'll pull out the LP a little later to make sure.

Jing Chi, the Fusion 'supergroup of Haslip, Robben Ford, & Vinnie Coliauta, is worth checking out. At times, they sound like Cream on 'juice'.
    Another recent 'supergroup' outing is Structure with Haslip, Terri Lynn Carrington, Greg Osby, & Adam Rogers. Haslip & TLC layin' down displaced Funk grooves for M-BASERs Rogers & Osby.

A pre-Yellowjackets' album, Robben Ford's Talk To Your Daughter, is nice.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Keith Horne plays in the same manner.
  10. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't heard about Structure.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

His other cd is called 'Red Heat'! It is a smokin' latin tinged cd! Jimmy is Puertorican in case you didn't know. I believe his dad is playing on the cd as well.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hmm ... I'd be surprised if that were pre-Yellowjackets. The 'Jackets go back a ways.
  13. That show is great. Other bass-worthy performances have included Victor Wooten, once with Joey DeFrancesco and once with Stanley Jordan. Oteil Burbridge with Vernon Reid. Gerald Veasley with Pat Martino.

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Selena - Dreaming of you
    Anita Baker
    Hes my main reason for still playing the way I do( left - handed strung righty). Hes monster for sure.
  15. Listening to it right now. Just incredible musicianship.
  16. Wow I had no idea this guy was involved with so many musicians! And being that a small part of me is hispanic its even cooler that he is too. Is he full puerto rican? I asked this question a few posts back. What bass does he play. I don't know much about this line of basses, but it looks like he plays a Roscoe??? I read about them on here alot. Looks like a nice bass. Studio jams is a great show if any of you cats get BET jazz. Lots of diffrent styles of jazz on that channel.
  17. I love BET Jazz, but can't afford cable anymore. Just too many primary bills. I only had it, cause I was living with a friend for three months. best three month of TV ever. If I could afford it my TV would be on that channel always.
  18. Heads Up has a cool video of the Yellowjackets playing and some good shots of Jimmy. Click on the the middle video third row down.

19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think you're right...it's all a blur. I am old enough to have bought every Yellowjackets' album as they came out. ;)
    Maybe I was thinking of Robben Ford's The Inside Story...IMO, not as good as Talk To Your Daughter.

There's a Bob Mintzer album out there(I think it's called One Music) w/ Haslip, Ferrante, & Kennedy...basically, a Yellowjackets' album under Mintzer's name.
    There's also a couple of Dave Samuels' discs with Haslip & Kennedy; nice-sounding Contemporary Jazz.

Maybe it's me: IMO, Haslip's playing went up after Will Kennedy joined the band.
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The above is from the Yellowjackets website.