1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jimmy Kimmel's Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Sep 14, 2008.

1. In the same light as the Will Lee's tone thread, I have a question about the bassist in the Jimmy Kimmel Show's house band. Who is he? He's a good player and his tone is up there with Will Lee's. I looked and searched all over the intenet and even watched a few episodes of the Jimmy Kimmel Show on ABC's website but I couldn't find his name anywhere. I know he plays a Fender Jazz but that's all I could see from the videos. This may be a lost cause but I thought maybe someone would know who he was and shed some more light on his gear.

2. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I know his name is Jimmy Earl... go from there I guess.

3. There was a great feature on him in Bass Player probably about a year ago or so. I'm sure you could find some info on Musicplayer.com in the bassplayer section.

4. Thanks guys. I'll go from what you just gave me. I knew I'd find someone who knew the answer.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Jimmy played with the Chick Corea Electric Band after John Patitucci left. He also put out at least one solo album. He's a great player.

6. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    He also played with Stanley Clarke for a while.

7. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
  8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh, that's Jim Earl on Jimmy Kimmel? He was at Berklee at the same time I was, and he was the bass player that EVERYBODY wanted to play with. For good reason: he was really good, even 30 years ago. I always got a kick out of the fact that he played bass with Stanley Clarke.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I saw that band. Stanley was fun (on piccolo), but Jimmy was waaaaay down in the pocket. He sounded great.

It was kinda funny, they were opening up for Miles. So they played for a half hour at the most. Then Stanley took a look at at the side of the stage, and grumbled into the mic... "I guess we're done... Miles wants to play now".

The pecking order was clear that day. :D

11. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
  12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    When I saw him with Stanley Clarke, he was playing a Smith six string. That was a loooong time ago though.

13. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I saw Jimmy Earl play a small local venue about seven years ago with Robben Ford on guitar and Vinnie Colaiuta on drums. I still put it in my top 10 shows I have ever seen. He is a really talented player and that trio just smoked!! Ironically, I was surprised to find out he is a GK endorser. When I saw him, he was playing a jazz bass through an older Trace Elliot stack. Great tone and great note choice.

14. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I took this shot of him playing (with Alain Caron watching) at the F basses booth last winter namm.

[​IMG][/IMG]

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Jimmy Earl Rips...

Very underrated player.

16. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    an old ad of his, and his old signature bass from the archives:
    scan0010.
    scan0013.

17. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    Absolute monster player. I've seen him a bunch at the baked potato in North Hollywood and he's got tone, chops, freak and funk. He's intense.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw that tour, what a band!!!

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1, I saw him Detroit with Stanley on Ken Smith Six around 1988-89.

20. He's also on a live Robben Ford DVD (I think Drayton is on drums)