1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JimS and BobG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Guys, how do you like your Kern preamps? The Bass Player review of a year or so ago was very favourable, but then I read about reliability concerns. Any comments?

2. I have no problems with it. Also, I know a session and touring bassist who has owned his for much longer without any problems. It's...

-versatile
    -has very effective controls that shape the sound a lot
    -simple and few controls (I like that)
    -sounds really, really good
    -reasonably priced
    -direct line out to go straight to tape sans direct box
    -has instruction manual (some older models didn't)

I can get 'old tones' like JPJ of Led Zep, Jaco, Motown and modern sounds like Marcus and Whooten. I ordered the Kern with a built in power supply instead of the wallwart power supply and also with a ground lift mod at no extra charge.

I have no regrets about buying it. I didn't try the Aguilar preamps but this sounds great and costs less and I was very happy with what I heard coming from the Kern. I prefered this to SWR, Eden, and EBS Fafner (apologies to RAM). I didn't try Alembic or Demeter either because none were in my area and I didn't feel like trying them out and then shipping them back and forth to faraway dealers .

[Edited by JimS on 01-19-2001 at 05:46 AM]

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I like it so far, but I haven't gotten it out of the house yet (club cancelled dates, dammit! - I'm going nuts). It has great tone and seems very honest, but "on the job" is the true test.

I suspect the reliability concerns are overblown.