Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Jingling" noise coming out of my tweeter...Why?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FrozenCat, May 30, 2003.

1. I've been saving up for awhile, and 2 weeks ago, I went to Sam Ash and bought a Hartke 3500 head and 2 Hartke VX 410's. The full rig sounds pretty decent - it gets really loud without much distortion. The only problem is...there is this...noise that comes out of the tweeter of one of the 410's. Sounds like a wind chime. It's not that loud, but I was still wanted it gone. So, I went to Sam Ash and they gave a second 410...and....the new one jingles too. How?

I don't know if it's a connection or something. I found new speaker cables and used them...still makes the sound. I used my Fender MIM Jazz....my Ibanez SRX-505...no matter what, it's still jingling. I really don't want to go back to Sam Ash and complain again. Should I just cut the wires to the tweeter? (I have one in the other cab) Any help here would be much appreciated....

2. My just be the style of the tweeter.
    I have had 2 SWR WK15 and they both brand new had a sound like you are talking about.

It is not a rattle but a tone.
    Is that what you mean?

I am lucky the SWR has a switch to turn the tweeter off and that is how it stays.

I guess you could unplug the wires to turn off the tweeter but I don't know enough about your setup to know if that would cause other issues.

Good Luck.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Are you sure it's only one cabinet that does this? Do you have the tweeter level the same on both cabs (if there is a tweeter level control). Since your Hartke head has a preamp tube, it might be a microphonic tube, which should be replaced.

It shouldn't make a difference, but have you tried switching the speaker cables at the speaker and at the amp, to see if the noise follows a particular cable?

Good luck

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    could also be a blown or torn diaphragm in the horn itself or some other loose part. could also be a microphonic tube...

5. I was wondering about the microphonic tube as well. Try is taking the head OFF the cabinets to see if the noise goes away - eg. set it on the floor.

6. You guys were right - it was the microphonic tube. I took the head off the cabs and it sounded fine. Should I just take the head to Sam Ash and have them replace it?

7. That's exactly what you should do. If you are playing REALLY loud, you might want to get a piece of foam to put between the head and the cabs. Looks fugly but protects your amp from concussion! Enjoy!