JJ Long Horn Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tom Neves, May 20, 2007.

1. Tom Neves

Tom Neves Supporting Member

:help:
    Guys and Gals,
    I have a Jerry Jones Longhorn 4 string that has D'addario EXL-170s strings original from the manufacturer.
    They are O.K. But a little stiff feeling.
    I prefer the TI nickle rounds. (low tension)
    My problem is that the JJ tuner post hole is very small in size. The TI simply does not fit because it is not tapered like the d'addario strings are.
    Any of you know of a low tension string with tapered ends?
    Does TI make a tapered string set?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had that problem with a Danelectro DC bass that I put Thomastic JF344s on. The E string was too thick for the cheezy, guitar sized tuning peg. I drilled it out carefully to fit. Only the E string needed it. Be careful you don't use too thick a drill bit if you try this and measure ahead of time to make sure there is enough metal there to start with. There should be. It doesn't take much to get the strings to fit. Drill a test hole in a thin piece of metal or hard plastic first to check.

I'd do that rather than going for an inferior brand. Thomastic doesn't make a tapered set to my knowlege. The Jerry Jones should sound wonderful with the T.Is. I didn't like the stock strings either on the Jerry Jones I've played and on the Danelectro. Made it sound like a toy bass.

3. jackywade

jackywade

Jan 4, 2007
    I also had the same problem so I took my JJ to Manson’s Guitars here in the UK to drill out larger tuner post holes to except TI strings.

4. Tom Neves

Thanks 62Bass,
    That was exactly what I was thinking.
    I might contac JJ and see if he sells spare tuning pegs just in case.
    Regards and thanks for your help.
    :meh:
    BTW,
    Do you think the low tension TI's would be a little too slack for the Long Horn?

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Dunno if you are interested in flats , but Labella makes dedicated set for Danelectro basses.

6. Tom Neves

barroso,
    Yea,
    I tried flats once and didn't care for them on this bass.
    Rounds work better for me.
    I have flats on some other basses and dig them.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    No. The T.I.s will probably need a little tweak of the action. I had no problem on my D.C. Just backed off the truss rod a hair. Filed down one slightly high fret. Super sound and playability. They take a few days of playing a lot to really develop their best sound. But, to me, they are a flatwound string with ho equal.

Edited to add-Just noticed you're going with rounds. Well, the T.I. rounds are very nice sounding strings and would probably be my choice if I ever went back to rounds.

However, I am a Thomastic fanatic. I don't get any perks from them for promoting their product. You'd think they would send me a free set once in a while. They act as if I don't even exist. Do the guys who promote LaBellas here get free strings? Let me know if you do and tell me how it's done.

8. Tom Neves

Contacted Jerry Jones asking if they have a part number for a spare tuner. (Gotoh)
    Some info on the net yeilded quite a few different part numbers.
    Any of you know where I can get the exact Gotoh tuner from?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021