1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JJ/P+Selector wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kcmoe, Apr 10, 2015.

1. kcmoe

kcmoe

Mar 16, 2007
    I've tried to find previous threads about his but didn't have much luck. If I missed them please let me know.

Here's the question. I picked up a '74 Jazz bass that 2 owners previous did some mods too. He moved the neck J pup next to the bridge J and added a P pup with a selector switch. Except the JJ isn't currently connected. If I wanted to wire it up do I put white/white together and black/black together from the two J's, or reverse them?

Also thinking of adding a three way mini switch for the Double J, with either series/parallel/single or perhaps single/parallel/single giving 60's and 70's single J positions with humbucking in the middle as someone suggested in another thread about this bass.

vFniOwx.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. The technical answer: Try it one way, and if it sounds thin and nasal, try it the other way.
    The practical answer: It appears that someone glued a neck pickup and a bridge pickup from the same set together, so it isn't likely that the color codes would differ. Let both whites be hots and both blacks be grounds.