Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JJ Teslsa Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Has anyone tried these tubes? They give a convincing rap for them at eurotubes.com

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have tried the JJ tesla's, and they aren't bad for the money. However, for bass amplification, my favorite is the Sovtek 12AX7WB. I like it even better than most NOS tubes. It has a very flat frequency response, and really smooths out the bottom. Just my opinion!

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i HIGHLY recommend Ei tubes!!!!

HIGHLY!!!!

jason

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    hey psycho, im looking at amps now, and the harkee 3500 comes with a 12ax7 in the pre-amp, whats a good replacement tube to warm up the sound. In fact most of the amps im looking at only have one 12ax7 in their pre-amp. thanks.

George

5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    psycho, could i ask you one more ?. I have an old fender bassman silver face 50 watt head. Its about time I re- tube it. It has 2- 6L6GC for them I heard jan philips 6L6WGB were good. And it also has one 12AT7 and 3 -7025's which I guess are 12AX7's. any suggestions on which tubes. thanks again

George

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    I just fitted 4 JJ e34l's to my vintage selmer 100 head.
    These are supposed to be upgraded el34's. i.e. a kt77 in an el34 envelope.
    They are the BEST sounding valves (tubes) I have ever used!
    And the ones they replaced were Mullards! :eek:

7. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    I agree with Paul A. I've had JJ/Tesla EL34's in my MM HD130 for about a month now and they sound great! I highly recommend JJ/Tesla power tubes.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Thats funny. I was swapping all kinds of 12AX7s, 7025s, in my Eden preamp and, I kept going back to the Sovtek 12AX7WA. I think it is the stock tube as well. None of the others sounded as together as that tube. I think that you hit it on the head about designing around the Sovtek tube. My Tesla question was vague, I know, but I wanted a cross section of responses.
    I am thinking about using the JJs in my vintage SVT (if I ever get it back!). First the preamp tubes, then eventually the KT88 replacements for the 6550s. I know we discussed this before, but I am mainly interested in the 12AX7, 12DW7 that the SVT uses.