1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JJ Teslsa Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Has anyone tried these tubes? They give a convincing rap for them at eurotubes.com

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have tried the JJ tesla's, and they aren't bad for the money. However, for bass amplification, my favorite is the Sovtek 12AX7WB. I like it even better than most NOS tubes. It has a very flat frequency response, and really smooths out the bottom. Just my opinion!

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i HIGHLY recommend Ei tubes!!!!

HIGHLY!!!!

jason

4. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    hey psycho, im looking at amps now, and the harkee 3500 comes with a 12ax7 in the pre-amp, whats a good replacement tube to warm up the sound. In fact most of the amps im looking at only have one 12ax7 in their pre-amp. thanks.

George

5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    psycho, could i ask you one more ?. I have an old fender bassman silver face 50 watt head. Its about time I re- tube it. It has 2- 6L6GC for them I heard jan philips 6L6WGB were good. And it also has one 12AT7 and 3 -7025's which I guess are 12AX7's. any suggestions on which tubes. thanks again

George

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    I just fitted 4 JJ e34l's to my vintage selmer 100 head.
    These are supposed to be upgraded el34's. i.e. a kt77 in an el34 envelope.
    They are the BEST sounding valves (tubes) I have ever used!
    And the ones they replaced were Mullards! :eek:

7. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    I agree with Paul A. I've had JJ/Tesla EL34's in my MM HD130 for about a month now and they sound great! I highly recommend JJ/Tesla power tubes.

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Thats funny. I was swapping all kinds of 12AX7s, 7025s, in my Eden preamp and, I kept going back to the Sovtek 12AX7WA. I think it is the stock tube as well. None of the others sounded as together as that tube. I think that you hit it on the head about designing around the Sovtek tube. My Tesla question was vague, I know, but I wanted a cross section of responses.
    I am thinking about using the JJs in my vintage SVT (if I ever get it back!). First the preamp tubes, then eventually the KT88 replacements for the 6550s. I know we discussed this before, but I am mainly interested in the 12AX7, 12DW7 that the SVT uses.