Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JJLabs / Carvin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by apparatus, Dec 23, 2003.

1. A 300W RMS head with two 4x10 cabs for about $1300 USD (10 000 SEK)

here's a pic:
    http://www.jam.se/images/jjlabsbasrigg.jpg

there are no specs, but I think this is the same head:
    http://www.jam.se/jjlabs_bsh300g.htm

JJLabs is some low budget company manufacturing microphones and stuff as well. I haven't tried this rig yet, so I can't tell how it sounds. Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

A brand that I've heard a bit more about is Carvin. I think I've mostly heard complaints though. I'm wondering if this is a good deal: http://www.musikborsen.se/itempg.aspx?id=16958&artno=132713

edit: The link doesn't work. it's a Carvin R1000-E + RL410T + RL118 for ~2280USD (17 000SEK).

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Dunno anything about that JJLabs, sorry.

I do know something about Carvin, though. For my tastes, that head is as good as anything in its price class in the US, though of course tonal preferences vary. I'm less impressed by the Carvin speaker cabinets, and that seems like a lot of money for the whole rig (twice what we'd pay in the States). If I were you, I might think about buying only the R1000 head, and then getting speakers from somewhere in the EEC, where presumably they might be less expensive.

Alternatively, how do you feel about your compatriots EBS? Their stuff is relatively expensive here, but you could probably get a much better price, being in Sweden.

3. Okay.. Well, all EBS stuff that I've tried sounded great, but they're not really in my financial range right now :)

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have that exact Carvin rig R1000E + 4x10 + 1x18. It's not bad, but it's not worth over $2000 either...I got mine brand new, shipped to Middle East for less than $1200. I agree with Richard, get the head, and some local cabs.

5. Alright.. I don't really know about local cabs, except JJLabs. I'll have to track down some local bassists and ask them.

6. Since this is your second thread looking for rigs, go to the Carvin Website and send them an email regarding overseas shipping. That whole system you are asking about (head, 4x10, 1x18) is selling out of their catalog for $1290, and I'd be shocked if the shipping would tack on another $1,000. It might, if they FedEx it overnight, but if they put it on a boat it might not be as much.

You might consider their 8x10 cabinet system with the same head for $1190, but you'd only incur the costs of shipping one cabinet instead of 2.

ps. It doesn't make any sense to buy any brand-new Carvin gear from anybody except Carvin. If you're getting it from a retail chain, they bought it for what you'd pay out of their catalog, shipped it over, and jacked up the price to A) Make it more convenient for overseas buyers and B) Make a profit.

Carvin is strictly a 'Factory Direct' seller.

7. Thanks a lot, I'll see what I can do.