1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JL 12w7 sub and box

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by Hurley, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It's back on the market again. This time, I'm trying to save some cash for a cross-country move.

JL 12w7 subwoofer for sale. It was voted sub of the year when it came out. 12", 500-1500w rms, SVC, 3 Ohm woofer. It comes in a custom plexiglass box. Woofer cost me $750, and the box was about $400. The speaker is excellent, and hits very hard with good power to it. The box is solid, but has some light scratches/swirls. I'd let it go for $325 + shipping.

I accept PayPal or Postal MOs. If you have any questions or need more pics, feel free to ask. I will not sell the box and sub separately.

**Note: The little blue wire hanging off the side was a neon light. It's since been removed.**

Attached Files:

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Bump?

3. How exactly does an amp react to a 3ohm woofer?

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Most monoblock sub amps don't really care what the load is, as long as it's within the amp's limits. The thing that sucks about a 3 Ohm sub is that you usually need to find an amp that puts out a lot of power at 4 Ohms, which usually means a more expensive high-power amp. I'd recommend the JL 1000/1 or 500/1, which put out the same power at any load.

5. I totally understand that logic, but how exactly does that amp react? Does it opperate in 4ohm load, 2 ohm load, somewhere in between?

I have 3 JL 8' in a box that somehow makes your amp work in a 4ohm load, just like if you had 2x10's.

Anyhow, I'm somewhat interested. At what frequency is the box tuned at? In general, I don't like 12's as a stand along, but if the box is tuned tight enough, I may work for me.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    From what I understand, the amp should "see" the speaker for what it is, and probably puts out the average of the 2- and 4-ohm rated outputs. It all comes from the same outputs on the amp, not like with bass amps where you have to plug your wires into the right outpts. I hope that helps - sorry if you already knew that.

For your 3 sub setup, I'm guessing those (single voice coil?) speakers are 12-ohms each.

If anyone with more knowledge on this subject wants to correct me or add onto this, feel free. I'm no expert.:smug:

7. My three JL's I beleieve are 6ohm each, which now makes sense because that would put the amp at a 2ohm load.

Amps don't really work on averages when it comes to power ratings from one setting to the other...normally they are preset values. My guess is that the amp sees the sub as a 4ohm speaker, or something similar.

At any rate, do you know how the box is tuned? That would make a big difference for me one way or the other.

Thanks, and would you be interested in any trades by chance?

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I honestly couldn't tell you. I got the box from an eBay vendor and I just don't remember. The box is sealed, and is actually a little smaller than 1.5 cubic feet. If I can find out, I'll post it here.

I'm not too interested in music gear at this time. I'm mainly looking for cash.

I posted the sub for sale on another forum, and I do have a few people interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.