Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JMX - good tube drivers?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    JMX, I seem to remember you being the resident "tube driver freak" and owning just about every tube-equipped pedal or rack unit known to man... :D what would you recommend for a non-mushy tube overdrive?

Right now I'm using a Chandler I got from one of my old guitarists. It's much better for guitar than bass, it's way too noisy and too mushy in the low end.

I'm looking for something with good S/N ratio that won't take away punch or mush out. It doesn't have to be full-on distortion, I'm running a distortion pedal into it. Just a good quality grindy/gritty real tube OD with solid bottom and punch, that will add to my signal instead of taking away from it.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Maybe I should be looking for a tube preamp with OD instead?

TIA

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmm, thanks for the compliment, but I'm definitely not the local tube or effects freak.

I wrote some posts about the Tube Factor by Hughes&Kettner, but that's all.

Check it out, nice little box.

But there are other who know much more about these gadgets.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hmmm... ok, must have been somebody else then. But thanks for the reply, I'll check that out.

4. Even though it hasn't got a tube in it, you should check out the EBS Multidrive pedal. It leaves the lower frequencies un-effected, which makes the sound much more tight and it does't weaken the low end as many other overdrive units do.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Metal,

Naturallly, your selection of a pedal or rackmount effecty will depend on your personal tastes and musical application. Are you going for razor edge metal grind, or a smoother blues style grit and growl?

I was looking for the latter but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a rack mount effect or a full-on preamp. A pedal would do. I spent many hours reading posts on various pedals and then bought a Multidrive. It was OK, a pretty decent pedal actually. However, not quite what I was looking for. The tubeism switch added a nice bit of tube style compression too. I sold it and then I started looking at the tube pedals. after additional research, I bought a Tubeworks Blue Tube 903 pedal. After swapping out the tubes and trying a few different tubes, I think I've found the tone that I was looking for - kind of an old Bassman / Ampeg B-15 style tone. Believe it or not, changing the tubes can change the tone noticeably. A friend helped me select a NOS RCA 12ay7, after I had tried a Mullard 12au7 and Groove Tube 12au7. I'm happy with the tone for now.

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Nice, I love that old B-15 tone - I would definitely like to use that if I was still playing blues gigs. Never even heard of an AY7 before...

Like I said in my original post, I already have a distortion pedal I like. I'm just sick of running it into a clean amp, and want more distortion. I tried running into a tube OD and it works pretty well - I just need a better tube OD and the right tube. Or possibly something like an SVP-PRO... I love the SVT grunt, but can't imagine getting a "cold" sound out of an Ampeg - which is what I need for black metal. Maybe what I really need is a Marshall for that frosty tube breakup... ? It would be a lot cheaper to find a tube OD.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mitch, have you tried the tri-ac? It's made by Sans Amp and goes from subtle warmth to full on metal mayhem. It thas three programmable channels, all analogue. You might find it useful.