Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JO 5 vs Roscoe Beck 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Which do you all like better ? Which has the best jazz bass sound?

2. i think they will both nail the jazz tone, but i'd say the RB will be more versatile in a retro way, with the jo 5 getting the standard 2 pu + active pre versatility thats so common these days. both are lovely, you wont be disappointed with either.

3. By default, the JO5 is strictly passive.

Mike

4. they both are passive.

5. oops. got it confused with different bass.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It depends on what you consider the "best jazz bass sound". For example, using two extreme examples...

If you looking for Marcus Miller slap tone, I believe the JO5 will be the better choice based on my experiences (with the maple neck! :) ).

If you're looking for a fat old school classic rock tone ala Noel Redding, etc., I'd prefer the RB.

Also, don't forget that these two basses have significantly different neck profiles with the RB having a bit more chunkiness on the back side of the neck. I personally prefer less bulkiness on my necks, which I know affects tone. it's a slight tradeoff.

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I like both of them.BTW the RB5 can get the so called Marcus Tone also.

8. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Sound issues aside the two basses have a totally different feel to them. The RB5 is heavy and the neck is wider and bulky. The string spacing on the Lakland is closer (11/16 or so)and the neck is flatter and faster. I believe the shape of the neck promotes different kinds of playing: I play less notes on the RB5 because its harder to reach them. Both area great basses, sound fantastic in their own way, and are excellent values, new or used.

9. Actually, the Lakland has 3/4" spacing, same as the RB5, and a longer 35" scale to boot. The neck profile might be a bit less chunky, though.

Mike

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...sort of...the JO 5 I played at the Lakland factory had a Bart preamp in it. It's on the price-list as an option.;)

I played the passive and active, side-by-side and thought they were both incredible, but the active had a little more sparkle and zing.