1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Joannes Udalricus Ebere - super old bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JoyTide, Mar 20, 2013.

1. JoyTide

JoyTide

Mar 20, 2013
    So i came across an upright in my buddys basement that is in a fairly severe state of disrepair, the bass was his uncles and now he wants to get rid of it and doesn't know anything about it himself. The sticker on the inside has it labeled as

Joannes Udalricus Ebere
    Fecit Praga 1721

I've scoured the web and havnt been able to produce anything of much value on this bass. Any tips on the direction i should head in now? :bassist: :help: :bassist: plzzzzzzzzz

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  3. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
  4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Post some pix.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  6. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I believe Framus has stuck the name "Johann Eberle" in several models of violins and cellos. Perhaps they've done so for a bass or two as well. If there are additional words on the label (or additional labels), please let us know.

7. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    You know, when a freshly-registered user posts exactly once, wondering if he's discovered a 292-year-old bass in a basement, I want to help. When he doesn't post any pictures, or further details--or for that matter, doesn't follow up at all--I start wondering if this is some kind of prank.