1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

job taking advantage of me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Precision345, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    So my job has recently scheduled a meeting that is 1hr long and I'm pretty sure in Canada they can't bill you out for one hour of work? I think it has to be a minimum of 3 hrs? anyone know anything about this?

2. I know nothing about Canadian labor laws. I know that in the state I live in, if you are scheduled to attend a meeting that lasts an hour and it's not during the shift you normally work, you are entitled 4 hours of pay. The employer may have you actually work the remaining three hours if they choose.

If I were you, I'd just be thankful that you live in Canada (where it seems people actually still care about each other) and you have a job (that there are seemingly fewer of every day here).

3. What part of Canada?

lowsound

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Going out on a limb here: the part above the USA?

5. I LOL'd aboot that one.

6. I live in Canada and live at the same approximate latitude as Northern California and well south of Maine.

lowsound

7. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I bet you made a lot of people look at a map... :D

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hardly so Canucklehead. Kittery, Maine is almost straight across from you.

-Mike

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I did to see how far south of Maine he thought he was. :D

-Mike

10. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    So, not the part he (allegedly) lives in. My suggestion wasn't completely useless.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If the worst that ever happens to you at your job is having to attend a one hour meeting, you are a fortunate guy.

I've had jobs that had hour-long meetings once daily, and twice daily. And I never got paid for attending.

Nobody loves a clockwatcher.

12. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Nobody loves using their time for their employer's gain.

13. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    They have to pay you 3 hours worth.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Were you salaried, however? I'm not sure what the FLSA would say about hourly employees being present at meetings in which they didn't get paid.

Of course, that's moot point in this thread, since the FLSA doesn't apply to Canada. :D

15. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    If they didn't take advantage of you it would hardly qualify as a job now would it?

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

As it happens, I was not - I was in sales and working on commission. But the meetings were a way to increase my skills and plan the next day or week.

Look, if someone is an hourly employee and they're caught in a "no-pay" situation for meetings on a regular basis, that's unfair. It should not happen on a repeat basis.

But if it's just one meeting, go to the meeting.

These days I'm salaried and I supervise a group of three co-workers. I'm the only one not required to keep a time sheet and who is not subject to overtime or comp time rules. I make sure to be fair and not ask them to over-commit their time, but none of them watch the clock or worry about an hour one way or another. They'd prefer not to fill out time sheets and just do the work that needs to be done...including meetings as needed.

17. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    Can't believe some of these posts....

Yeah your right employers shouldn't have to follow a law

18. For an hour, a single time, i wouldn't complain too much. If it starts happening regularly WITHOUT you being paid, AND attendance is compulsory, then i'd start to think i'm being taken advantage of.

19. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012

Going to work for 1 hour takes much more than 1 hour and is definitely not worth 1 hours pay.

Hence the minimum hour laws.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

What makes you think they are even paying you for the meeting?

They owe you 3 hours of pay in order to call you in, but if you work that day it kinda becomes a split shift I think so they don't have to pay the 3 hours, as that is for a call in, this was a scheduled break in the shift. I could be wrong there, but I would be shocked if you got paid the 3 hours for a one hour meeting.