Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jobs for 15...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Sep 22, 2004.

1. So. I'm 15. How do I get a job? I need money to get bass shiz...

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    1. In the newspaper, look in the ads.
    2. Apply
    3. Refrain from using the word "shiz", or anything else stupid like that during the application and interview phases.
    4. Be prepared to WORK, and for it to suck. There's a reason they pay people to do it.

3. you posted that like you think I'm some kind of stoner loser.

and i know all that, im not stupid, i've tried everything. i dont know what else to do... and it's not like im a horrible person, i have a 4.0 gpa, im involved with CAP, a vollunteer at the evergreen air museum... i mean, why cant i find a job? :(

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tym2,

Speaking from the viewpoint of someone who was a former social worker with school kids it can tend to be harder to find work as a 15 year old than as a 16 year old. Businesses would rather hire one of the many 16 year olds running around looking for jobs than someone who's a year younger. I know this because I called many places looking for jobs for some of the kids I worked with. I did find some places but the majority said "16 or over." Also in Texas you have to have some kind of parental permission to work under the age of 16.

Some good places to inquire though are at grocery stores (sacking or rounding up carts) and fast food places. Fast food sucks...so if you do end up working there be prepared for the suckingest suck that ever sucked. Also check with places that require large amounts of people doing grunt work such as carwashes (all those guys drying the cars).

Some other words that I wouldn't use in the interview aside from "shiz" are "hella" "l33t" and calling the interviewer "my dawg". Also, don't end sentences with ",yo?"

That last paragraph is a joke so don't get mad and quote me your gpa, you stoner loser. :spit:

brad cook

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If you're a decent student, I'd recommend you just apply yourself in school. My parents bought me all of my gear and I spent my time studying instead of working ( well, not that much time ;) ). If you get an $8,000 scholarship or get accepted into a special program for your studying efforts, it'd be worth a lot more than a $5/hour job.

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Alot of grocery stores hire at 15 as baggers. I began working at Kroger two months after my 15th birthday. I stayed there two years and went from bagger to cashier to stocker, from $5.40 to $7.00 an hour. Hard work truly is rewarded. Do your best, and you will reap the benefits.I'm now happily at UPS, in the middle of the promotion process to become a part-time supervisor.

And you can say shiz. Just not around your interviewer.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    At 15 I was roofing houses. Manual labor, that's what you need. Down here, the guys you'll work with don't understand enough English to care if you say "shiz" or not ;)

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    xcental34x is movin' on up to the east side.

brad cook

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    To a deluxe apartment in the sky?

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No. Hopefully a deluxe apartment in Midtown. But that won't be until next summer. The first couple months of this promotion will focus on GAS relief and some much needed saving some money.

~Patrick

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would ask around at school, surely a few people your age already have jobs. Then make sure they have a debilitating accident, then just show up on their employer's doorstop the day after. Not really. Disregard.... maybe...... hehe

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, a cardboard box...but at least it's something eh?

brad cook

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How about your buddies? Do their parents own a business, or know someone who does? That could be your "in".

When I was 15 I started working for my buddies dad as a drywall taper.

-Mike

14. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    At 15 I did a "cash under the table" job slingin' hot dogs at a local hot dog/beef joint. Mob connections out the wazoo, and was out of a job when they busted the owners son selling coke out of the back and closed down the shop.

From 16-18, I had the absolute high school dream job - stockboy at one of the larger liquor stores in the area. The owners were super-cool and were totally into music. The fringe benefits were phenomenal, if you catch my drift.

The first job paid 3 bucks an hour, cash. The second paid I think around $4.50 an hour. Mind you, this was around 1985-87, but adjust for inflation and you'll find that the pay sucks for alot of jobs you'll find at 15-16 years old. Maybe talk to the owner of a local music store? You'd at least get the employee discount...

15. Do what I did at 15
    Mow lawns
    shovel snow
    rake leaves
    pull weeds
    clean gutters
    wash cars
    walk dogs
    deliver news papers
    cut fire wood
    But that was all a long time ago, do kids still get paid to do that stuff?

16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I started out working at an amusement park. They need tons of people for the summer work, so they'll hire about anyone. I understand that it's no longer summer, but any place that has a strong seasonal following will readily hire youngsters.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...caddy?

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Net speak...one of the best ways to become underappreciated and disrespected.

If you know all that, why seek others' advice? As you'll find in life, a perfect gpa, involvement with community organizations, and so on is only the beginning. It does not define who you are and what you're about. Who you are and what you're about is what you prove to other people through years of hard work.

If you're that good, you should be able to sell yourself on your strengths to potential employers. They all need someone who excels. 15 year-olds can excel, but they have to work harder at proving it.

19. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Fast food.

It sucks, but it's cash.

Ya Arby's! Since I've started that job I've met some sweet people working there, and I've learned to juggle (it is super dead).

I was talking to my dad a while ago...when he was my age he worked for some moving company making $15 an hour, and that was in 1971...Jesus...

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, for some reason i have always had trouble finding jobs. i started looking when i was sixteen. nothing. tried again this summer when i was 18.5. nothing.

my brother, on the other hand, had like four jobs by the time he was 17 or something. and has had several more. :meh:

a lot of it is luck of the draw, i guess. talk to your friends. talk to your friends' older brothers and sisters, maybe. there is probably someone hiring somewhere--maybe even for fifteen year olds.

...but i still say that school is the number one priority right now. (unless, of course, if you live in florida, it seems :rollno: )