Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jobs for a person with only a high school education?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have a student in the GED program where I work who says he doesn't plan to go to college. "School is not for me", he says. (Un)fortunately, he doesn't have any idea what kind of job he'd like to have.

While I have high hopes for my students, I must also be realistic. If I can't convince someone to pursue a higher degree, the least I can do is steer them in the direction of a good job with the education that they have. I need to give this kid (20 yo or so) a goal.

I've suggested he look into taking the civil service test and becoming a letter carrier or something like that. I'm sure there are other options.

I'm looking for a website or a list of jobs a person can have in the U.S. with nothing more than a high school education. Any leads in that direction would be great. Thanks.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Super-star.

or flipping burgers, I'm afraid that's it.

:meh:

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Is he dead set against a trade school? I have friends who never went to college that learned such trades as HVAC and plumbing who do very well for themselves.

4. I'm in HVAC...and it's fun. Tell him to take that:)

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't think so. I also suggested going into carpentry or plumbing as you suggested.

Vocational school ideas are also appreciated.

What's HVAC?

6. Another good thing w/ trades(plumbing,HVAC,Carpentry,etc) is that even if you dont have that as your career,if your A/C breaks...you can fix it:)

7. I don't even have high school, and I'm working for a small IT consulting firm - making more than any of my friends who went to work right after high school...

However, I realise this is the exception much more than the rule - I've had a passion for this feild since I was very young, and a clear idea of what I want to do. So far it's working - though I'm not completely aversed to going back to school in the future should circumstances dictate such would be beneficial.

--jeff

8. Osama Spears failed to answer that one for you, so i'll take a stab at it!

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.

--jeff

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Good for you, Jeff.

If only the students I deal with had your drive. As you said, you're an exception.

If some of my students don't get some sense of achievement through education, they have a very good chance of landing in jail.

10. That's certainly a different situation from my own.

I know from watching a lot of my friends that knowing what you want to do after high school doesn't come easily to many people - regardless of background. Unfortunately, many parents push their kids in the direciton they'd like them to go. While I believe someone can become competent in a field they do not enjoy, I don't believe they can excel. Does this kid have any hobbies that could be cultivated into skills that would be useful out in the world?

--jeff

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Politics, starting with city gov't.

We need less lawyers in gov't and more people who know what it takes to make an honest dollar in gov't.

12. Yeah...Sorry,I didn't read his post fully.

I also take welding,which is fun.

13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't know yet. It's a new semester and my first contact with him.

He also has three cronies, one of which is a pretty cunning at hacking. They show up in the computer lab and basically surf the net and chat and do God knows what else. They're here as I type. They're supposed to be doing math. Instead, they're listening to CDs on the computers. They're not bad guys, they just lack focus.

I have never dealt with a problem like this, but I think I can get them on track without much nagging. I must help them set long term goals for themselves. I can't do them all at once either, so I just went with the most receptive one and hopefully once he's on track, the others will also fall into line. You know the domino theory...

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Uncle Sam is allways has jobs open ie military, maybe some kind of farm help or maybe the kid would like to work in a prison.

15. Talkbass Moderator?

Kidding aside, your intentions are good and noble, but I'm afraid that it is he that has to set his own goals (you can't "give him a goal"). Out of curiosity, how does he make a living at the moment (does he live with mommy & daddy)?

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Judging from my experiences with them in the past...
    High School Councelors/Guidance Councelors

Then there are also...

Car Salesmen can make decent money for not having an education if they are good at it.

Groupie for Metalica

17. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Giving a goal" was a figurative expression.

Ok, let me backtrack and rephrase that:

"Help him discover his goal". Better?

I wouldn't presume to assign anyone a future in which they'd have no say, but if some of them are to make any progress, they need outside help.

I have no info on their family life, nor do I know them well enough to venture that deep into their privacy. They've formed a "boy's club" and I'm outside because I'm older and because I'm staff.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How did you come up with that?

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    army...11B

20. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I know it's been mentioned before, but I also recommend getting into a trade school or learning a trade (electrician, machinist, tool and die maker, plumber, etc.)through an apprenticeship.