Jobs relating to bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassMisfit, Feb 28, 2001.

1. BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    I know that there is not a chance that becoming a bassist for a famous band, so could you guys give me some examples of jobs pertaining to the bass. If I can't be a rockstar I would love to have a carrer that deals mainly with the bass. I doubt that there is a carrer in selling basses at a local music shop so if you could give me any examples of jobs it would really help me out.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Not sure if these are what you are talking bout but here it goes:

Be a bass tech
    Studio/recording bassist
    Amatuer Bass Player
    Teacher then theres some more but im really anxious about tomorrow. thats all
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Being a session / freelance bassist is a great way to make a living. Some others:

Military bands (you know I had to say this) full time bass playing job, decent pay, benefits, retirement, etc

Circus band : live on a train, gig a lot

Cruise ship : live on a ship, gig a *lot*

I'm sure there are others
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Local cover band. You can make some decent money playing good gigs; corporate events, weddings, bar mitzfahs (sp?), stonings, etc...
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You could be a sound and light technician like me, and then play in bar bands at night! You get to play bass, and watch other people play bass to.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You could become a luthier (one who makes instruments). Many started out as bass guitarists, found that there was something that they wanted incorporated into a particular design, and took off from there!

Or, you could go into business or law, representing musicians. It's big business, constant dealings, and running around like a mad man!

A third thing you could do is to become a distributor. You said you don't want to work in a shop selling the gear, but what about selling TO shops? Some distributors make nice bank!
  7. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    or you could always go fishin'. :D hehe
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    you could be in a cover band, a good pop/dance/top 40 cover band, gets good paying gigs and the best part about that is alot of the better ones in my area dont need a day job. Or you could do the cruise ship scene, studio/session work, be a luthier, sound man, or even a teacher.
  9. Who says you cant be a rock star or bassist in a famous band? It's all a matter of how bad you want it, and how much you're prepared to sacrifice to get it. As for me, I used to be fulltime bass player, but the last 6 or 7 years have seen a downturn in the live music industry, plus I got sick of having a crappy car etc, so now I'm the bass guy at a music instrument shop by day, and doing 2 or 3 gigs a week at night. I'm not a star, or famous, 'cos I never had the ambition to be. I was'nt prepared to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve what is a dubious lifestyle anyway. The number of "stars" and "famous" bassplayers who are still normal, and in touch with reality, is very, very small.