1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jobs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    How does a person get work experience if nobody wants to hire a person without work experience?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    intern....

family favors....

interviewing skillz and self confidence!

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    McDonalds.

4. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    that's when its good to have connections.

5. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'm allergic to crappy food.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington

It really is and either/or decision here.

I went to my McDonald's interview in normal street clothes, didn't know anybody and it was my first interview. It went like this:

"Why do you want to work at McDonald's?"

"It's easy and I need money."

I am not even kidding. Only reason I got the job was because the manager interviewing me was new at it so she was afraid to say "no" to people. Later she told me that she interviewed a bunch of people after me just so she could decline them the job.

7. best answer right there. I got my job with no practical work experience. Just a few years of schooling on the subject and a few small side jobs. Over time, my pay went up to match the experience I had gained.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    May I ask what your job is?

Oops... I just did.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I used to be upset about that too, but if you can convince you're the right guy for the job then the work experience don't matter. When I got my job (I'm a product deveopment engineer) they asked for the regular minimum of 2 years experience besides the bachelor/master degree requirement, and they also mentioned PHD's could be considered. 80-90 people applied. Two people were hired, me and another one who had been working at the same department as a consultant for a couple of years. I was very lucky to get the spot. I didn't have the experience required, but it was exactly my field and what I wanted to work with, and I did the master's dissertation (I've made a bachelor too) at my company's biggest competitor on the Nordic market. I didn't get a job at that company because as I finished the dissertation the company fired 400 people...

EDIT: There was no personal relations involved in me getting the job. I knew nobody at my company before I started there.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Been thinking the same thing dude... The only "experience" I can say I have is work experience with a Audio/Lighting company and some voluntary work for my mum's workplace. Unfortunately that isn't seen as enough for most employer's. :meh:

11. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    What ever happened to on the job training? It seems like businesses don't want to deal with the week it takes to train their new employees.

12. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    are you meaning like, no work experience at all? or just no experience in a certain field? I think if you're talking about having no work experience, most employers are more worried about your personal work ethic than anything else. before i joined the army i installed security/fire/sound&tv systems and stuff like that. now, my brother-in-laws brother worked at the company, and i think that did help a little him vouching for me, but the service manager even told me that's what he was worried about, my work ethic and how hard i was willing to work. i got paid like, 30 cents over minimum wage, but had lots of overtime...damn i loved that job, i wish i kept that job instead of joining the army.

i think alot of it is being at the right place and right time, also. idk though.

13. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    I've learned that experience doesn't help at all. Keep calling them till they give you a job just to shut you up. Never let up for a second. If you don't go away, they will give you a job just to get you to stop bothering them.

14. I do drafting and design work. It took me a couple weeks to learn new software after I started with the company and then a month at least to finally get into the groove of how they operate.

15. Do what everyone else seems to do these days. Write a very well embellished resume. Key in on things you are naturally good at and go from there. It amazes me what some of my friends and even family members have done to land really good jobs. And to think I spent 25 years working as a machinist :scowl: These days it's not what you know, it's how well you can BS and sell yourself :rollno: Over the years, I've interviewed MANY entry level engineers with degrees that couldn't pass a simple machinists math test using a calculator. Unfugginreal!!!

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Show you're really interested in getting the job. Don't wait for them to call you back, but don't call everyday either. At interviews, your personality and social skills are checked too so be relaxed and enjoy the time.

Related to our knifeman's post above: Don't be too modest in your resume. I know by experience it's hard to know what to write in them if you don't have too much to write about. Anyway, make it look good, also visually. Keep the job applications short/long enough (the text should cover about half of an A4 or letter size page), make sure they're easy to read and are grammatically correct. Also, write a new application for every job you apply for and focus on telling why you suit that particular job well.