1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

joe barden j style pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rycebag, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    so i heard from a friend about these pickups. and from what i hear they are humcancelling and not single coil. i wanted to know if anyone has try them out or have any experience. i am very curious to hear how they sound.

2. I've just put a pair on my B Bass - no pics yet, but will do at the end of the week.

They are twin-rails, standard size (91/94mm) and fit the standard Jazz IV routes.

They replaced EMG Selects. On their own, my perception is a general extension of response - more top end, more bottom end, more detail in the mids, and hum-cancelling.

I wouldn't say the difference was earth-shattering, but they just provide a lot more information than the Selects.

I've coupled those to a John East U-Retro pre - and believe me, when you turn *that* on, the difference IS earth-shattering!!!! :D

3. Rycebag

Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    anyone know how they sound compared to a pair of lakland single coils?

4. Here's a thread with some Barden experience. Greg from RocketMusic replaced the stock pickups in his Warwick and was kind enough to give us some recordings of the before and after.

5. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I actually just ordered a pair of these for my Suhr Jazz Bass. I'm replacing my Suhr single coil pups as they just aren't enough output for me. From everything I've heard the Bardens will give me more output but retain a lot of the single coil tone that I like in terms of bark and midrange punch. We'll see... I was actually about to order a set of Stan Hinesley Split J's which were less expensive but like a 6 week wait... So Barden's it is.. There are some clips on youtube with some guy playing a Fender bass with Barden pups... sounds pretty good..

6. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I've been giving thought to putting these into my Pilot 5 string...I've not been thrilled with the stock EMG's or the pre that were in it.

7. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I wish I had a way to post some clips but I don't. I did end up putting these in my Suhr Jazz this and used it for a cover band gig. I'm still experimenting with the bass but so far I actually think I liked the Suhr single coil pups better (atleast in this particular bass). The output of the Bardens is hotter (which I like) but the bridge pup doesn't have the same kind of bark as before. I'm still messing with the slap tone but I just don't think I'm used to what these pickups do. My slap tone didn't seem to have the usual Marcus-y vibe that this bass had before and I really miss that..so not ready to sell my Suhr single coil pups yet. That isn't to say that these pups don't sound great because they do. I wonder if these are meant more to be used with a onboard preamp as this bass is passive.. For the price I paid I'm not sure I'm as happy as I should be with them and I'm wondering if the Stan Hinesley Hot Jazz pups would have been more to my liking. I went for the Bardens because of the 6-8 week turnaround that I was quoted on the Hinesley pups. On a positive note, the pups sounded great for all the Rock stuff my band played and very grindy with a pick (which was cool). They also look KILLER in my Red Suhr jazz bass with the black pickguard and maple fingerboard..Stunning FWIW.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Bumping an old thread, because I'm thinking about Bardens for my Jazz V. I'm put off by the price, but the bass is a keeper so I can probably live with it. Any more experiences?

A few years ago, I heard a great player using Barden's Strat pickups, and they sounded incredible. If I didn't already have Lace Sensor Hot Golds in my Strat, I'd probably get some Bardens. If the J-bass pickups do something similar, they'd be worth it IMO.

PawleeP likes this.