Joe Barden or Villex for my 6 string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by raymondl3, Mar 21, 2011.

1. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    I just bought a 90's Ibanez SR506 from a guy for 100 bucks. After putting on new strings, I've come to the conclusion that the Ibanez pickups are the weak link in this bass.
    The pickups are a tad over 4" and 1.5" wide. I'm afraid to install EMG (not my kind of tone) so that currently leaves me with Villex and Joe Barden J-5s. I've heard a lot of good about Villex, however some of the clips sound a little dark to me, but overall very pleasing. The Barden's rails on the other hand would more than cover the string width at the bridge pickup (81mm), but they are damn expensive. I know the J style pickups might look a little funky in the soapbar cavity, but I don't really care.

Villex or Joe Barden?

2. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Of course there are the Lace Alumitones but I've seen mixed reviews

3. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    bump

4. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Love me some Bardens. My Thumb NT5 has a set... good growl, responds well to EQ, even sound. IMO they look cool too :)

5. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Thanks. So you think the price is justified? They are 285.00 for a set.

6. Cinquez Griffin

Cinquez Griffin

Apr 4, 2011
    Ohio
    Joe Barden All Day need a pair again please someone if you have joe barden J-5 pickups pm me

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021