1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Bonamassa - Just added him to my personal list of outstanding guitarists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Apr 16, 2010.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Just sharing my impression. Only thing I can say is... WOW! :eek: :bassist: :hyper:

I've never heard about him and one friend showed some of his video and audio recordings last night. I'm still stunned. Can't remember when was the last time I heard a "new" (to me) guitarrist with such an awesome tone and feel, not to mention his singing. I think I'm going to buy some of his albums. :cool:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Ive seen him live 3 times, still puts on an awesome show.

Plus, Carmine Rojas plays some killer bass.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Oh Yeah :bassist:

I think of Joe when I hear people talking about John Mayer being the new end all Blues guy.

4. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
  5. wow - cool vid! inspiring!!

6. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    JOE IS THE REAL DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Joe's version of "Walking Blues" is my Ringback Tone.

:bassist:

:D

God Bless, Ray

8. ekb16b

ekb16b

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia

That clip gives me goosebumps.

9. Joe is the man. His tone and style, and his live performances are just incredible.

I want to recommend his live album "A New Day Yesterday-Live" (make sure it says "LIVE" because he has a studio album of the same name for some reason).
    This is the album that got me into Joe. It's been a while since I listened to it, but I think just about every song on the album is basically a 10. The sound quality is delicious and there's a kick-ass bass solo in the last song. And of course the guitar work is just insane throughout.
    I think it should also be noted that "A New Day Yesterday" was originally a Jethro Tull song from their album "Stand Up" (which is also amazingly good). And if you know the Tull version, you realize how awesome Joe's cover is.
    Of all the stuff I've heard from him, I strongly prefer his live recordings. So much energy, it's awesome:hyper:

10. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Joe? Eh? A lot better than Mayer.

Now if only Matthew Stubbs got famous enough so someone could find good quality (audio) songs on youtube.

11. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    He's great. I hadn't heard of him until last year. I had about given up on contemporary blues till I heard some of his stuff.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Joe's a kick ass player!

13. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Good player but doesn't send any chills down my spine, sorry. Electric blues guitar is now a standard form, with standard licks and sound, youtube has a plethora of kids who are sub 10 years old wailing on 'blues', - 'cotton wool wipes' blues as opposed 'cotton pickin blues.' Such is life.

Bonnamassa was one of them, now grown up....

14. He is a wicked guitar player. He and Glenn Hughes are putting a band together. Now that might over-the-top good if they come up with the goods!

15. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    That's when Eric Czar was playing with him. Check out "Had to cry today", from Rockoplast on you tube, phenominal!

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I first heard of Bonamassa when he was a teenager playing in Bloodline with Berry Oakley Jr on bass. I think he was one of the last artist the late great Tom Dowd produced before he died. Lately he's been working with producer Kevin Shirley who brings a lot of a classic rock rock[Led Zep, Cream] vibe to his songwriting and recordings. Definitely one of my favorites of the young lions of blues/rock guitar slingers.

17. Chris Sheaffer

Chris Sheaffer

Jan 30, 2008
    I saw Joe this past August and I'm going to see him on the 24th of this month , the best word to describe this guy is awsome !