Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joe Cocker invented slap bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ashton, Apr 3, 2002.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i was watching tv and Joe Cocker from woodstock 69 came on and ya'll know how he was uhh, really really high and all....well anyway. he was doing this air guitar thingy and for about 10 seconds he was air slapping, so maybe thats who first invented it. someone saw that and thought it would be cool to do on a real instrument.
    later
    Lukas

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The pipe is evil!!! Put down the pipe!!!!

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    haha
    i put the pipe down when MY DAMN EYEBALL EXPLODED!!!

im serious, the little veins in my eye 'exploded' and now my eye ( the white part) has blood all in it. i look like something from resident evil 3.

im thinking of posting a picture of it soon ;)
    later
    Lukas

4. Argh ! pinkeye !!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ashton - You is a wild man!!!

I saw Cocker and the Grease Band around `70 and we were like "who the hell?" But they entire band was very impressive. Couldn't figure out if Joe was having a seizure, though.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He'd probably just seen Larry Graham doing it in Sly and the Family Stone, who were well-established by then - "Dance to the Music" was released in '68 and no doubt Joe was hip to what was important in the music - the bass!! ;)

"Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)." - the quintessential, pioneering Larry Graham slap bass track was about in 1969.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...which means Graham had been 'slapping' awhile pre-'69.
    Agreed, no doubt, anyone who know what the Hell was goin' on back then was checking out The Family Stone!

Actually, I recall a Chuck Rainey interview(mid-'70s Guitar Playermag)...he believed Monk Montgomery actually 'slapped' pre-Graham!
    This woulda been in the '50s! ;)

And let's not forget guys like Slam Stewart & Milt Hinton...slapping the upright! In the '30s!!

8. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - kids today know nothing ! Hah! :D

9. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i wasnt sure when it was invented but i didnt think it was back then. maybe joe didnt know who sly and the family stone is and in his drugged up and drunked haze he just thought of it, didnt know it was already around.

well he is credited with inventing the 'air slap bass'
    :rolleyes:

wild man, haha, well i did get my ear peirced today and my parents havent noticed it. :D :D
    later
    Lukas

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well - he was a pretty "soulful" guy and spent a lot of time in the US and on tours at festivals. I would be very surprised if he hadn't bumped into them at some point on a festival bill. Also, Sly and the Family Stone were pretty well known in the swingin' sixties in the UK, where Joe hails from and most people would have heard them on the radio or at parties etc.

11. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well fine, proove me wrong. i wasnt even alive then so what do i know. hehe, well cant say i didnt try. just think when im your noble age i can show off to the younger generation of TB'ers.
    later
    Lukas
    PS> hopefully ill be a supporting member way before that though :)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There are music history books "down under", right? ;)
    Jazz-Rock: A History by Stuart Nicholson is pretty decent, IMO. That book alone probably added another 30-40 discs to my collection...

Anyway, I'm assuming The Family Stone was 'known' 'cause they were so cutting edge...I was around back then & the scene was about 'cross-pollinating' & experimenting with Rock-Jazz-Funk-Blues-Latin-etc.
    Hendrix OPENED for The Monkees!
    Miles OPENED for Neil Young & Steve Miller(among others)!

The times have certainly changed! ;)

13. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    you are right in a way, hendrix did open for the monkeys. but the monkeys managers thought that hendrix's wild stage act was too explicit for the younger audience that the monkeys were aiming at and drawing in.

hehe, i just finished reading hendrix's biography :D

i willl look for this 'jazz rock: a history' by stuart nicholson. actually that name rings a bell if he is writing about music history he mighthave been the guy who did hendrix's bio. you never know.......
    later
    Lukas