Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joe Farrell - Moon Germs / Stanley Clarke (iTunes)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Apr 13, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    was browsing iTunes this morning.

i've had Moon Germs on vinyl for nearly 30 years.

took a chance, did a search, BAM!!! whole recording for $3.95.

Great acoustic Stanley!!!!

[​IMG]

from a review:

Joe Farrell's Moon Germs was recorded in a single session in 1972, and was the third of six albums Farrell cut for CTI. Farrell had already played with Chick Corea's original Return To Forever group, contributing to the first two albums by what became one of fusion's seminal groups. Interestingly, Farrell plays no tenor at all on this album, opting instead for soprano sax on three tracks and flute on the remaining one.

Farrell is backed by an incredible rhythm section on Moon Germs. Herbie Hancock plays electric piano, an instrument he had already mastered from playing it on Miles Davis' early electric work including Filles de Kilimanjaro and Bitches Brew. A 21-year old Stanley Clarke mans the bass chair. Clarke was something of a bass phenom and was also working with Return To Forever. CTI house drummer Jack DeJohnette completes the quartet, providing kicking bop and post-bop drumming that drives the sometimes-modal explorations forward.

"Moon Germs" is a swinging post-bop workout that features Farrell's Coltranish soprano work. Like the best of Coltrane's modal workouts it has plenty of rhythmic drive and inventiveness to keep the listener interested. "Great Gorge" is a funky fusion workout that wouldn't have sounded out of place on Miles' Filles de Kilimanjaro or Miles in the Sky. Farrell and Hancock are both playing at the top of their game here, providing interesting solos that develop fully even while maintaining a sense of playfulness. The Chick Corea composition "Time's Lie" is given a reading that ventures into Latin jazz territory, with DeJohnette providing propulsive commentary. "Bass Folk Song" is a Stanley Clarke composed samba that highlights the bassist and gives Farrell a chance to demonstrate his flute chops. Overall, Moon Germs is one of Joe Farrell's best recordings, providing a chance to hear him stretch out on soprano and flute with a first-rate rhythm section.

really great stuff!!! i haven't heard it in decades.

f

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...great album.
    I just picked it up when it got re-issued a couple years back(I missed out on it the 1st time around). I paid about $9 or $10 for the cd.

Outback is another one you may interested in(Farrell, Buster Willaims, Corea, & Elvin Jones).

Farrell's Sonic Text is a little more straightahead & swingin'(Farrell, Freddie Hubbard, Tony Dumas, Peter Erskine, George Cables).

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i love this period in jazz "fusion".

i "grew" my ears during this time period.

saw zappa for the first time that year (1972).

i'm grateful!!!

f

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I picked up the reissue a couple years back too! I still have the vinyl, but I'm to lazy to turn it over :) I always loved Joe Farrell's playing........one of my favorite periods of Return To Forever was with him, Flora Purim & Airto.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I picked up 'Moon Germs' about 1-2 months ago and think it's great! Herbie on Rhodes, Stanley on upright, DeJohnette on drums - that's one of my fantasy rhythm sections!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...anyone else have the wrong personnel listed in the cd's booklet?
    Or is it just me?

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

iTunes lists Ron Carter on bass, but there is no way that that's ron carter playing on the album:)

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    weird.

i bought the Lp when it first came out.

what pulled me in was herbie, stanley and jack.

stanley all the way maaaaaaaaaaan!

f