1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Frazier solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Langueta, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Langueta

Langueta Guest

Jul 9, 2007
    Jeff Berlin is one of the greatest. I am learning this solo. Do you think it was an improvisation or the solo was constructed preaviously????
    Thanks

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    That music is really not my cup of tea :) but the man can play a solo. I belive it was more or less constructed. The source wont answer these questions.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...well, it is a snapshot of '70s/'80s Rock-Jazz Fusion.
    "Joe Frazier" was considered one of the 3 big 'bass anthems' at that time ("School Days" & "Teen Town" being the 2 others).

I know JB had comments about Jaco's solo on "Havona". A little surprised he won't field questions about what went down on "Joe Frazier".

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I don't know whether the "Joe Frazier" solo was improvised or constructed in advance...but if I had to guess, I'd say it was improvised at some time, and then Jeff subsequently transcribed what he'd improvised so that he could play it verbatim as a motific device.

Remember, Gradually Going Tornado was recorded in 1980, when it was technically convoluted & rather time-consuming to fly parts around from one location of the multitrack to the other (unlike today). Would've been far faster for Jeff to simply play the solo a second time for the recap.

But to my ear it definitely has the shape, musical vocabulary, and "statistical density" of a Jeff Berlin extemporaneous solo, which is why I suspect it was originally an off-the-cuff improvisation. It's just that that time of origin may have been well before the "Joe Frazier" recording sessions.

Like I said, I'm just guessing.