Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joe Henderson: "State of the Tenor" w/ Ron Carter

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Wow! I picked this 1985 double-CD up ten days ago and it hasn't stopped playing since! This is a trio of Hen, RC and Al Foster -- masters all and in top form, live at the Vanguard.

Mr. Carter, in mature voice, just tells the truth about how to play modern jazz with no piano or guitar. There's a lot going on -- many double-stops -- but it's all incredibly musical, "full" not "frantic."

Robin & BML, thanks for the recommendation. I can't believe I didn't hear this 20 years ago.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for the heads up! :)

for those of you with Rhapsody - this album, along with about 30 other Joe Henderson albums are on there.

my boss and i are listening to it at the office as we speak! :D

3. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Yeah, I had a gig at a blues club in San Jose, Ca, with Joe right after "State.....Tenor I" came out.
    On the break, I made a comment on how great the recording was and Joe asked me, "Do you have the cassette in your car? I have'nt heard it yet."
    This is 20 years ago but I remember it like yesterday.
    I said I did, so we listened to it in my car.
    He seemed very interested.
    I said, "You're touching All the basses, Joe."
    He said, "Uh, right."

These two CD's are brilliant! Recorded live at the Village Vanguard over a one week period, Ron's performance is a lesson in well-seasoned taste. His time and intonation is impeccable. Both Mr Carter and Mr Foster lay a stellar foundation for Joe's teeming creativity.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Agreed 100%. Thanks for the reminder, I'm gonna go dig that one out.

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Supposed to be a classic, haven't heard it yet - on my list!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Hmmm, there's a nice Italian record with Charlie Haden and Al Foster. What's the tune list? It would make a nice contrast to listen to Charlie and Ron approaching the same tunes with the same band.

7. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Interesting you'd mention Charlie because the week before Joe was to play Village Vanguard, we had breakfast and he said he would be gone next week to NYC. I could swear he said he had a record date at the V.V. with Al Foster and Charlie Haden. When the recording came out, it was Ron. I never asked him why the change. He did say this session was the 'big' one that would put him back in the game-Blue Note label.
    I had a trio gig with him the Monday after he came back from NYC, but we played Joe's list of tunes, not what he did on the recordings.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Let me be the first to say a hearty "**** you" for having gigs with Joe Henderson :) .

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I love JH's compositions. That must have been some opportunity you had there <b>Tenor's In The MIddle</b>...

10. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    :rolleyes: Joe was a good friend. We kept in touch over the years.
    I flew back around Thanksgiving 2000, right before my first son was born, from Thailand to see friends in Bay Area. We had a long conversation at his home. He was so sick with emphysema-pretty sad. He asked me to come back the next day but when I arrived, the family had taken him to Stanford Hospital where he stayed until he died in 2001.
    Yeah, I've got many 'Joe' stories. He was a fine conversationalist and spent most of his time in the abstract. As Jimmy Heath said, "Joe's got a serious wig."

At the time, Larry Grenadier lived in the Bay Area, so other bassists like me were thrown a bone occasionally. At the time, I was fortunate enough to have solid groups with Brian Melvin, Calvin Keys and John Handy, so those made me a living.

Anyway, this is a bit out of context, so......

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But given what you say - why does your location have a UK email address? :confused:

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Well, thanks for piquing my curiosity, Bruce; I just went and checked out Tim Hauff (aka Bass_Means_Low)'s very informative website.

Tim, I noticed that the Brian Melvin CD you recorded also featured my old pal Wayne DeSilva, surely one of the greatest saxophonists to come out of Hawaii. I love that guy; very cool with a great vibe.

Those saxophone trios are fun to do, especially if you have someone who can pull it off as well as Wayne can.

13. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Henderson was great.

14. DITTO!! or, i'll be the SECOND!
    Hi Tim.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    My buddy Jeff Silverbush just loaned me a handful of JoHen recordings (since my own collection is dreadfully lacking).
    So far I've listened to BASRA (really under Pete LaRoca's name), INNER URGE and one of two live records recorded in Baltimore with the Wynton Kelly Trio (PC and Jimmy Cobb).
    The live thang is really killer, standards with Joe really stretching over a swinging rhythm section. It sounds pretty modern in a lot of ways.

INNER URGE I haven't sent much time with yet, but I gotta say I don't dig Bob Cranshaw's playing on the title cut. It sounds like me, just hanging on by the skin of my teeth. And I really dig his playing on THE BRIDGE.

BASRA - whoo eee. NICE record. Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow on upright and Pete on drums. EVERYBODY sounds great on this record, Swallow has an open intro to the title tune and sounds like what would happen if you put Scotty and Charlie in the same head. GREAT sound out of the bass. And LAZY AFTERNOON! whoo ee. HIGHLY recommended.

16. I remember that being the talk of the town (literally) when it came out a few years back. The gig itself was around 1968, no? One of if not THE last recording PC was on.

Also I heard there are a couple other discs released from that Left Bank series, which were secretly recorded and stashed away all these years.

17. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Joe can be credited as being on something like 60+ LP's by 1977.
    A couple of my favs are: Joe's "Power to the People" with Mike Richmond on trumpet, Herbie, Ron and Jack;
    Joe's "Mode for Joe" with Lee Morgan, Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Ron, Joe Chambers;
    Larry Young's "Unity" with Joe, Woody Shaw and Elvin.

18. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Just found vol 2 of The State of the Tenor second hand - great album, and a perfect example of making a piano-less trio really work. Ron Carter plays beautifully, loads going on but always musical.
    I mainly play in sax/bass/drums trios at the moment, and this album is really useful listening for that...

19. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Joe did several sax/bass/drum projects. The "Barcelona" CD with Ed Soph and Wayne Darling presents very strong playing by all three. The standards CD with Rufus is right in there. I haven't heard "The Montreal Tapes" or "An Evening With Joe Henderson" with Haden and Foster, nor have I heard the drummer-less trio with Friesen, Chick and Joe called "Voices". I'll get to those soon. The "State of the Tenor" project brought out some of Ron, Al and Joe's finest playing, but more importantly, the unity among the three is amazing.