1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Hubbard: Which is better; Fodera or Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 1, 2019.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Having nbow heard both in a clear recording there really isn't anything in it to my ear. They sound different but none is better/worse than the other.

2. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I would think you would want to play as many basses as possible and decide for yourself........

we know that they both make some amazing basses but its 100% up to the beholder.... Why would you choose one over the other as someone said it was better...

it sounds like your pretty sold on Warwick. I've had a couple of amazing warwicks and played a few that where meh... I betcha the same could be said for fodera....

Besides who wants one of those when you could play a dingwall :)

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don’t want either one nor am I in the market to spend that sort of money. I like the look and sound of the Warwick, but I mainly find it interesting to hear such an accomplished player on these two different basses.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  4. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I see, it seemed you were in the market for a large purchase but I didn't back read every post. That said,

Ive heard players slay on a squire far better then I ever will be able to on any bass....

Its hard to judge a bass standing alone when there is sooo many other factors down stream of the instrument

Passinwind and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Neither. Both are overbuilt and overembelished for me. I like working instruments. Now if I were a touring pro on the concert circuit where I was pampered with a bass tech, maybe, if I could have two of each. But I've noticed a lot of TB'ers with higher end instruments leave them at home and have a 'working' bass. If that's the case, build a glass and wood case and mount them on the wall! No thanks, working class joe here....

miljoneir, City, Passinwind and 2 others like this.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Whilst both sound goo, I wouldn't buy either.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree about having a bass you are not afraid to actually use!:bassist:

dune and Passinwind like this.
  8. I hear that. Fodera and Warwick custom shop basses may be on a par but Fodera strings trump Warwick strings. Fodera used to be my go-to string. I foolishly bought a couple of cheap packs of Warwick Red Labelsa couple of years ago. They're as rough as a cheese grater...

I did hear a rumour (probably nonsense) that Fodera strings were actually rebranded Spector strings. Due to supply issues, Spector are my preferred strings.

On the sound of Joe's basses, they both sound great and he plays them very well. Visually I find the Fodera more appealing. For that sort of money I'd probably have a custom shop Dolphin over either.

9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Possibly. Not sure when they built the mini factory for their string manufacturing but I know it’s a SMALL place with only 3 or 4 people who make them.

10. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    This bass ugly at the max as same as the Warwick-bags are complete bs ...
    My 50c (get you a Fender bag):
    '93 streamer 5 Kopie.jpg

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It’s not an ugly bass to me!

AB Nate likes this.
  12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    naw, I bought them to play out. I do have a MIM backup that gets the call if I'm doing a gig where people are going to sit in on bass. Beyond that, the YYD has probably 500+ shows on it and counting. (warning - gratuitous photo montage)

yyd-action%20-%201.jpg

yyd-action%20-%205.jpg

yyd-action%20-%206.jpg

yyd-action%20-%207.jpg

yyd-action%20-%208.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  13. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019

Construction of his exact bass. Mesmerizing.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I don't really see the reason why one has to be decided to be "better" than the other. I'm sure they're both excellent.

15. Maybe I'm missing something, but these two basses are almost identical (woods, pickups, etc) except for the name on the headstock... On top of that, most basses sound pretty similar with just the bridge pickup (that has been my experience). I think you'd be hard pressed to hear a difference at all, IMO.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Saying you like one doesn’t make it better. It just means you prefer it’s tone or looks.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If they weren’t similar, there would not be as much for comparison, imo.

18. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Warwick.

It's got a bit of that growl, even when played soft, that no Fodera that I've ever heard possesses.

In fact, Foderas have always sounded exceedingly bland to me. Looked and felt bland, too. It's as if the builders made it their goal to make as generic a bass as possible, and then charged 8 grand minimum for each of them. I will never understand the appeal.

19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Have you ever played a Fodera?

You also can get a new Fodera for a lot less than $8K...

Element Zero likes this.
  20. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Clearly sir, you’ve never played either.