1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Hubbard: Which is better; Fodera or Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    This is kinda like "Ford vs. Ferrari"

2. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Fodera... That said, I sure see more than their fair share listed on the classifieds... Something must be amiss. Maybe they're fine but not fine enough to warrant their price.

Tim Schnautz likes this.
  3. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I don't have any idea which one's better, that's subjective. For myself, I'd go Warwick. But it doesn't really matter, because I don't have the money to buy either one.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    right! They found out they couldn't play it any better than their 200.00 Squier. The glitter was gone.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Yep, I have. I try a few at NAMM each year, and I've played a few at bass get togethers in the past. Never liked any of em. Forgettable tone, floppy B strings, and uninspiring body shapes every time.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    NAMM is about the worst place to try a bass, but as they say, "there's a butt for every seat." Can't say I've had a floppy B on any of my basses, the Monarch body shape is essentially a refined variation of the P shape (which works for me), and my YYD has crushed most every other bass that's come in the house wrt tone. But everyone has their own preferences...

FRoss6788 likes this.
  7. Directly from Joe's mouth, he says the Warwick is indeed better for him.
    One of the biggest things about it was that it was apparently 1/3 the weight of his Fodera. It's also got a punchier tone "out of the box."

At one point it seemed like a lot of "online" bass players that were teaching were getting endorsement deals from Warwick. There were no real "deals" to be had, but you got to join the "family"...

Anyway, I seem to recall Joe actually offering his custom bass for sale to the masses. It's now on their "Discontinued" list, but I believe it was being offered for $12k and you could choose to leave off the JHB logos at the time. I doubt he sold many. If you google around, you'll find a forum post he made explaining his switch to Warwick, and how happy he is with it.

8. Would this be known as the "Boner" Warwick? (As they named some 80s Fenders...)

Joking aside, being a Spector fan, I cannot in good conscience 'like' a Warwick... ;)

GHOST AT likes this.
  9. Pretty sure a lot of those guys selling those basses are Manhattan bankers and lawyers. Fodera aren't all that particular about who they make a bass for. All you need to do is flash the cash and spec something they are willing to make and off they go. Not all of them are completely custom, either. Like Ken Smith, they had "runs" of specific basses that made it to retail in small amounts or were offered to people who just wanted "That one."

More than a few Foderas went on the used market after 9/11. That's a sad reality, but it was a reality.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That explains probably 50% of those for sale. Not being able to really afford it probably explains another 35% at least.

Tim Schnautz and Passinwind like this.
  11. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I've picked up some sweet cheap deals on 6-strings because the sellers had failed Dream Theater aspirations.

Tom Baker and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am sure you did! I have bought enough new basses, once I get my Geddy, I am done with new basses.

Tim Schnautz likes this.
  13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Oh really? Do you have a crystal ball there sir? :laugh:
    I've been playing bass for many moons and have had a chance to test drive some pretty remarkable basses. That's why we're individuals with different tastes. I won't knock yours if you don't knock mine. :)

FRoss6788, BeefPie84 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Why would Fodera be particular about to whom they sell a bass? The only qualification should be finances.

IconBasser and FRoss6788 like this.
  15. No particular reason... but you can't just walk into Yamaha's custom shop and ask them to make you a bass, no matter how much money you have on you.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Ok you got me... I bought my crystal ball from Amazon.

Making blanket statements about an a entire brand based off of 1,2,3 examples of a product does not reflect on the brand as a whole. Perhaps the basses you say you’ve tried were custom shop pieces that didn’t float your boat so to say. But that doesn’t mean an entry level boutique instrument is “overbuilt”.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yamaha is a huge corporation making millions selling products for regular folks. I take it that the Yamaha Custom Shop is for endorsers like Billy Sheehan, John Patitucci, Nathan East, or Abraham Laboriel.

Element Zero and jonathanhughes like this.
  18. I don't think Yamaha is really set up to take orders for customs. Their luthiers on hand just do builds for endorsed artists as far as I'm aware.

19. Sort of. It’s a bit more complicated than that. Those guys aren’t the only ones getting custom shop work from Yamaha Hollywood. Tony Kanal and the guy from the Googoo Dolls got custom stuff, too. There are others...

But again, Fodera will pretty much try anything. They’ve made all sorts of stuff like headless basses, short scales, different ranges, different headstock designs.

So you get bankers and lawyers ponying up cash for them, with no intention of playing them. When they get bored of it they turn around and sell it. But they are too sheepish to go back through Fodera’s buyback/consignment service.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Musicians should be grateful for rich hobbyists because Fodera could not survive without them.

Tom Baker likes this.