1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Hubbard: Which is better; Fodera or Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 1, 2019.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Overbuilt as in not mass produced is probably a more accurate description. And I have played Foderas and Warwicks. Now you've had your fun sparring with me, let's just agree to disagree. Move on to other interesting things-- I have.

Element Zero likes this.
  2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    The first headless Foderas were made for steubig, who is a monster player and a pioneer in improvisational music. There are plenty of non-banker/lawyers who buy and gig Foderas.

As Doc notes, people who have disposable income are what keep pretty much every boutique builder in business (and probably the big companies like Fender, Yamaha, etc as well). There are probably roughly equal numbers of Sadowsky, Alembic, Ritter, etc basses that are bought by people who don't play out. And plenty of Fenders get bought and never touched.

Dr. Cheese and Passinwind like this.
  3. No, that bass is not ugly.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. I've played just enough Warwicks to know that there is something cool about the way they sound.

Fodera - never played one, but Jason DeSalvo does an amazing job of explaining their passion. I love that.

I doubt either make, regardless of price, would 'wow' me like the gems from Michael Pedulla.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I disagree. Wait... what was the question?

6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :laugh: :thumbsup:

mikeswals and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. I'm not talking about the bedroom warriors. Yes, I know lots of guys who own them but never "gig" with them - they happily play through their exercises and along with backing tracks at home for their own enjoyment.

I'm talking about the guys who do NOT play, at all. Never played an instrument, but decided one day they would own one. So they went out and bought a Fodera or a Ken Smith or whatever. There's a relatively high density of that kind of collector around the NYC because there are so many people. Those are the ones that go back on the market with nary a scratch and often with the original set of strings still strung on them.

I know a few of them. None of them could play a single note. Some used to lurk on Talkbass to get ideas about what to own to be a "real" bass player...;-)

All of them had stunningly expensive and wonderfully-playing instruments. Most have since sold them off and moved on to expensive golf clubs or art or whatever.

But none of this has to do with Hubbard's bass which gave him an opportunity to correct some things he didn't like about his Fodera. He got a great bass out of the deal, he wins!

8. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    hard time to believe this, doc... ;)

jjk2007 likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I said new as in new from the factory. I am not paying new bass money anymore, especially for higher end gear.

Passinwind likes this.
  10. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Preferences are all fine and good, but that wasn't the question in the tread title. ;)
    After watching a few of the videos on the first page, they sound more similar than I thought they would.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If that’s how you feel, fine.:)

NKBassman likes this.
  13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I think I like prefer the low end on the Warwick better. It has a bit more of a distinctive character to it.

FRoss6788 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. I would be very interested in seeing any statistic to back that up. Though I doubt we could ever find anything more than anecdotal evidence. I suppose the implication is that they were owned by big city business types who died in the attacks?

Either way, I think folk can buy what they want and if you're lucky enough to have the money to buy a brand new Fodera, I don't care if you can't play it. Most guys with Ferrari and Porsches can't drive - that why their automatic transmission options are so popular! I'm just glad Fodera have a customer list that keeps them in business and if that is supported by lawyers and bankers, then fine. That doesn't impact on my ability to play or enjoy an instrument. Fodera and Ken Smith in particular have long been synonymous with luxury. Buy a great bass and keep it in your closet for all I care, it's not my place to tell someone how to spend their money, I suppose. You don't have to be able to play like Victor Wooten to own a Fodera.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree, the bit about bankers and lawyers who absolutely do not play sounds anecdotal. My guess is that most Fodera customers are serious player at least if you define seriousness as being willing to spend a substantial sum for an instrument.

16. I've known plenty of people who can't play well who own high end instruments but I don't think I've ever met anyone who went out and bought a $5k+ bass and literally can't play anything. Either way I don't see the big deal.

I also think some here would be surprised by who is actually buying new Foderas. LOTS of college students and serious high school students get them. We're pretty spoiled in the bass world with the comparatively low price of our instruments.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know at the college where I work, which is in the St. Louis metro area, St. Louis native, Tom Kennedy, was an adjunct bass professor for few years. A number of students, who were making good money gigging, bought Foderas because of his influence. I hate to say it, but I never met Tom even though he taught maybe 400 or 500 meters from where I teach.

ole Jason likes this.
  18. Tom Baker

Tom Baker Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I'm a Warwick fan...so Warwick BUT, I have only played one Fodera and it was 20+ years ago so my recollection isn't that accurate. Maybe I will go for a Fodera on my 55th B-day which gives me a couple of years to hide a $$$'s away.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    $13,599.99 is the price my dad was quoted for that exact Warwick. Sounds good but that price tag hurts.

NKBassman and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Im in that category. I have some really cool stuff, but when it boils down to it, I stage cheap Squiers and Ibanez. "workingman's basses" as you call them. stuff your not afraid to get scratched up and if it gets broken or stolen, it's disappointing but you're not out any real bread.

alaskaleftybass likes this.