Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joe Millionaire?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d_rock211, Jan 7, 2003.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Any thoughts? Every guy I've talked to so far thinks it is a great idea for a show. Every girl....well, lets just say they've not been fond of it?

Any TB'er opinions?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    is that an sv650 as your avatar? that's a hot bike.

oh yeah, i think it's a great idea. but i won't watch it until the final episode, as i'd imagine most people would. doubt the ratings will be that good - they wont have many girls watching.

3. SV650s (Half fairing) is my guess.

I can't wait for it. Sounds like a great show, expose people for what they are.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Joe Millionaire! :D :rolleyes:

5. i think its a terrible idea for a show. i mean, starting off a potential relationship with i lie like that is downright low, and i cant blame the girl he picks or whatever he does at the end, if she leaves him.
    on the other hand, love is love, and by the looks of it, the woman are all selfish golddiggers anyways, and i find it hard to have any sympathy for a woman or man who loves their husband/wife's checkbook more than the person themselves.
    i'm not sure if i like the show or not quite yet though.

but if it shows the golddiggers for what they really are, it cant be that bad :D

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Absolutely horrible idea, I hate any show that is designed to humiliate or make fools of people, like candid camera. Many "reality shows" are also designed to create unnatural situations that put people on the spot. Nothing "reality" about it at all, and the people in the shows suffer afterwards. This new one is the worst yet, and very denigrating towards women. It also says something about society in general and the values we have when we think it is OK to exploit people this way for entertainment.

Uh, and, did I say I didn't particularily like the idea? :)

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Its certainly an interesting...well not particularly interesting...it will be funny as hell in the end...I'll bet not one of those girls will want to stay with him after its done.

8. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Well, since I asked the question:

I think its kind of funny actually. That guy is probably getting paid a fair amount, plus, he gets to chill in a mansion in France.....

As for the women, if one of them decides she truly loves the guy, then great. If she decides to take the jewelry at the end (the women get more expensive jewelry the longer they stay on) then that's great too.

And yes that is an SV650, the S-model. I've been wanting one for quite a while (and would have had the one in the pic had my insurance not been canceled...)

Edit: oh, and Anders, would you object as much if it were men instead of women? Not trying to start an argument, just asking.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Originally posted by d_rock211:
    Edit: oh, and Anders, would you object as much if it were men instead of women?

Yes I would, I really dislike when people are put on the spot just to look stupid for entertainment. It's extremely tactless and hurts people. In our society it's just more likely to happen to women, but it's no better if it's men who are mistreated. Could be it's just me, I hate surprises, and people who use others.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love the idea! If it was up to me, I'd make it so the guy's a REAL millionaire, and let the "winner" know after she reacts the way any self respecting gold digger would. I'll watch the last episode, so I can get a good belly laugh out of their hurt and disappointment. So much for TRUE love, unless you count the love of money.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Yes I would, I really dislike when people are put on the spot just to look stupid for entertainment. It's extremely tactless and hurts people. In our society it's just more likely to happen to women, but it's no better if it's men who are mistreated. Could be it's just me, I hate surprises, and people who use others."
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am glad I rehearse on the nights this show is on. But all of the people/characters for "Joe Millionaire" volunteered, or are paid to be there. Alot of those people have been looking for that "big Break" to get into pictures/the tube.

As far as exploitation. Well it seems implied that the women are looking for "Gold". What does that say about them? They're playing the LOTTERY!

As musicians, who knows in what form our "big Break" will come? It all depends on how we handle it.

But with all that, I am still morbidly curious to see the last couple of episodes.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think the show should end with a caning for all involved, participants, producers, writers, executives who gave it the OK, everybody. I'd watch that episode anyway.

13. self-respecting golddigger, that's a good one Woodchuck!

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This is a great (albeit misogynistic) show! I was worried that Fox was going to present the guy as a beer-swilling, "I'm going to get LAID! WHOO!!!" dude, but they went with the shy-doofus approach, and the women come off much worse.

That's entertainment.

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    it will be funny as hell in the end...

but what i think would be a good idea is for them to have a reak milionaire dress up like a poor slob...and have women compete...and naturally they will all reject him...and then he reveals hes a millionaire...now THAT would be funny

bp13

16. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    the only thing my wife could say about it was: the guy needs some work on his hair. I think it's hilarious--and deceiving at the same time. Makes for great TV, huh?;)

17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i think its no worse than temptaion island or any other of those reality shows. i actually find this frikin hilarious. i actually know one of the girls on it. i havent had a chance to talk to her but she got cut last night anyway. i think its a hoot. the only thing that could be better if it was a normal dude ... alittle overweight, balding, but a kick ass personality and still broke and see what happens! you know no self respecting woman is going to show disappointment in front of the cameras when they tell them. they will be like " oh it doesnt matter we are truly in love" then dump him 2 weeks later.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno. If some are only gold digging, then why should they be allowed to save face for being greedy and self centered? I mean, if some of the women really like him, then it doesn't seem much like an issue. It seems the only people that would be in the face of the degredation spotlight would be those fake animals out for self gain.

19. i watched it ann I have to say that Some of these women are deserving to get played. Some the ladies seem nice but there is some cattyness already I cant wait to see these women backstab to get the prize when the prize isnt what they may want

20. I actually know one of the participants. Not well--I met her a few summers ago in Asia. She got eliminated though.

I think it's sorta weird because the fake millionaire seems like a pretty decent guy and he's pretty attractive too. It's kind of manipulative of Fox to do that because in the end, it's hard to say whether the women went for the money only or partially because they liked the guy's personality. I mean, we're all supposed to assume that they just want the money, but without knowing any of them, we'll never know for sure.

I bet there won't be a "Joe Millionaire 2" though.