Joe Osborn Laky for funk??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Sep 18, 2006.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Ive been trying to decide what bass to buy for about 4 months now. Its between Fender and Lakland, or if i can strech a custom Shuker Jazz. With Lakland is there two price range Joe Osbourn models. Also do you think this bass is pretty versatile. Is the B on a JO the same as a 55

I play Jazz/Funk. I know J Osbourn plays country,pop, that sort stuff, will his signature bass have any bearing on this, or does it just sound like a Jazz. ie, do you think it matters if you buy an artists model if you dont play what they play. M Miller Jazz for rock. Or am i talking rubbish??:confused:

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    The JO will do funk just fine. Get the bass that you want and don't worry about it :) Besides you are going to sound like you and not JO anyway. That's a good thing BTW, for both Joe and you :D

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The other option is the Lakland Darryl Jones, which is a fantastic funk bass.

I just sold mine, which I had dubbed "the Funk Machine."

4. bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Yeah def good for Joe. :rolleyes:

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, think of a JO as a Fender with better construction and quality control, in general and IME/IMO. The low B is the same as on the 55-xx series, as the neck and construction is basically the same.

6. ScottyDaBodi

ScottyDaBodi

Aug 28, 2006
    NYC
    Lakland Joe for funk would kick some butt!!

They make an active version that sounds killer for that Marcus-ish type slap tone... Sweeeeeet basses!

35" scale, one of the tightest B's on the market, and Lindy Fralins to boot... Those are ingredients for good soup! FUNK soup that is!!

7. bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Would i be right in saying your all talking about the skyline JO as my pockets are not deep enough for the US model??

8. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I think what's more important for playing funk, is playing funk. No bass is going to give you that feel. In the end, your decision should be based on what tone you like best.

9. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    I've played funk on a Starfire, an Alembic, a Modulus and yes, a JO5. It works great!

Funk is a state of mind!

Edwin

10. Their B stings are pretty awesome. Has a Skyline JO5 with a J-retro, it was a super jazz!

11. You nailed it pardner!!!

get down on the ONE and tear the roof off the sucka!!!!!!

what you do it with is largely irrelevant!!

12. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I played a JO the other night, and it didn't "pop" as well as my Sadowsky to my ears. I even have the J-retro. Food for thought. This will not discourage me from bringing the JO to future funk situations though.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a Skyline JO5 and had Lakland install a J-Retro preamp at the factory. Even if played passive with the Fralin pick ups, the bass is a great sounding instrument. This bass is excellent for funk, both slapping and fingerstyle.

14. yep. I use a jo skyline as my main bass (passive with fralins) and it's ansolutely fantastic for funk...you can dial in a great "funky finger sound" by just backing of the neck pup a bit, for slap, make sure both pups are on full and slap away. no need for a preamp as I see it, but that of course depends on your amp seettings etc./

good luck!

c

15. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Sorry, I was trying to point out that you will have your own distinct sound regardless of the bass you use. It wasn't meant as a put down.

16. Revolver323

Revolver323

Sep 15, 2006
    The Lakland JO IS the best Fender Jazz bass being made today. It's basically a 40-year-old J bass updated and made better. JO's sound is acheved by using flats and playing with a pick, but if you play fingerstyle, you will be one funkin' JO mo' fo'.

17. funkbasser

funkbasser

Sep 19, 2006
    I think that the JO is possibly one of the funkiest basses i EVER played! As long as the rounds are on there you won't get much funkier - well, if you are a slapper anyway.

18. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    +1

I get a great finger funk sound outta my JO5 by back off the neck pickup just a hair.

19. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i think you could definately use it for funk. the alder/rosewood will give you a more warm, round, smooth tone. i think it will sound great. i have a fender 62 ri jazz (same thing as the JO) on my GAS list, and im a funkster.

20. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    It's all in the touch my man, all in the touch.

Wooten could make a biro sound funky! :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021