1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Osborne V Darryl Jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A.CLAYTON, Jul 17, 2007.

1. I'm buying a new Lakland over the next month but i'm not sure if i will go the Joe or the Darryl.I can't play one as none of the shops near me will order one without a deposit.What are the differences in sound and feel?

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    These are very BROAD generalizations but here goes....

The JO is the more traditional, vintage vibe of the two with 60's pickup placement and Lindy Fralin pickups. Warm and smooth.

The DJ is the more progressive of the two, with a slightly smaller body, 70's pickup placement and Aero pickups. Lots o' balls.

I am pretty sure they have similar, or the same neck, profiles (Jazz bass oriented, nice and thin). I prefer the DJ myself because I like a thick aggressive J-bass sound. There are sound clips on Lakland's website, which may be of assistance.

3. IIRC they both have the new Lakland pickups now so any sound differences that existed before are close to eliminated. It's more of an aesthetic difference now, although there maybe still be a small difference.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

I believe the Darryl has two more frets, as well? Not sure.

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    +1

The main difference now is the neck. JO has 10" radius and a slim neck. DJ has 7.25" radius and a slightly chunkier neck.

6. chardbass

chardbass

Oct 21, 2005
    This has been discussd before and IIRC no one has confirmed that the DJ has 70s pickup placement- I'd be interested to know.
    Most of the stats can be viewed on the Lakland website- you'll see number of frets differ on signature models and string models.
    20 on JO4, 22on JO5, 21 on both DJs.
    I briefly played both and the biggest difference was the feel of the neck- chunkier on the DJ which IS a 70s jazz bass thing. If you go 5 string it's much more noticeable.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played a DJ5 last week, and I think that the new ones have slimmer necks than before. I thought it played like a dream!:bassist:

8. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I too just played a DJ5 last weekend in a shop. Although I can't compare to new vs. old, I really liked the neck. Sweet bass. I will say though that my next purchase will be a JO5!

9. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    So, did the new Lakland pickups tame the DJ? I liked the aggressive sound.

Can anyone confirm that the necks have changed? I really like the DJ4, but the neck on the DJ5 didn't feel as nice to me.

10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Listen to the sound clips on the Lakland site...

that should help you with your decision

11. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Skyline or USA JO?

12. +1

The clips of the JO is what did it for me.

13. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    IMHO new Lakland single-coils are closer to Aeros than Fralins. A little bit tamed perhaps, not as loud as Aeros, but definitely not sounding thin.

14. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    The DJ5 and the JO5 have the SAME pick-up spacing, just to dispel the myth.