Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joe Osbourne or Jazz Bass Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by degroove, May 28, 2004.

1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have a USA Joe OSbourne Lakland I just recieved. It is setup fine, but the pickups are different distances from the string.

The neck pickup is lowest. The bridge pickup is highest. When I work on my P-Bass, this is not an issue.

Any recommendations for starting points for string distance between neck and string and and bridge and string?

My ruler measures 64th, 32nds, but not metric... ;)

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. You don't need a "starting point" :eek:

Since a recommended distance has no context for reference, you are going to have to try another height to compare anyway so why not start low and work your way up until you find the optimum sound for you? And don't worry about the actual measurement until you find it - just use the screws to make even movements by counting the turns. Keep raising, and testing until you find the point that it sounds the best and you've got it! THEN measure your pups and record the distance. That is now your preferred reference for this bass. Keep it in a notebook so that you can get it back to the same place each time you need to.