Joe Satriani, is stu hamm still with him?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 1973ric4001, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    hey all, i just got a ticket 2 see satch in april, im pumped 'cause i got orchestra seats. I was wondering if anyone knew if Stu hamm is still playing with him?
  2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    No, it's Matt Bissonette. He's average. Definitely nothing compared to Hamm.

Sorry to disapoint you.
  3. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    On Joe's upcoming super collosal tour, it is Dave LaRue.
    (Or so Joe says in his newsletter).

We'll see how he does, he's a great bassist. It may be that I'm a big stu fan, but I never liked Matt's style in the songs as much as stu. But that is just me.
  4. antonh

Feb 27, 2006
    Ireland - Belfast
    yea, kinda disapointed when stu left :(
  5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Mind you, Joe called Stu the "best bass player in the world", so the door has been left open and they say they'll play together in the future, but right now Stu is taking time out from full time touring to be the family man for a while, watch his daughter grow up, that kinda thing, as well as working on his own stuff (he has talked about a possible live album, maybe a double disc set of electric and acoustic stuff) like GHS.

Matt is good, he holds the groove down, and still rocks (he was at a peak on "The Extremist"). But no, Stu and Joe don't tour together anymore. At least, not for now.

*I'm an admitted Stu Hamm freak :D
  6. Stu rules!! I just got an e-mail from him this morning regarding a huge 78 hour long improv music festival in Italy that we will play at together.

Mike Keneally, Stu, Pat Mastelotto, myself, Schroeder from Germany, Ronan Chris Murphy, Markus Reuter, and many others will be tearing it up for 78 straight hours in June.

This will RULE!!

7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Dave LaRue's a pretty good replacement. He and Stu are a good match in terms of capability and tone.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stu is an excellent bassist, but I also found that Matt Bissonette is a great fit for Satch. But apparently Dave LaRue is on tour with him, so that's good news for sure!
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    If anyone cares: Satriani just sat in with the band Particle recently.
  10. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
  11. BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I saw Joe Satriani about a year ago, and I was disappointed when I found out it wasn't Stu Hamm playing bass. I'm not sure who it was though. Seeing Hamm would have made the show infinitely better.
  12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

That sounds awesome, I've found Stu to be a pretty amazing improv player! There is so much of that kinda thing on the GHS records, I'm surprised that more people don't rant and rave about those records like I do! it's very cool to hear Stu in a totally different context from what we're used to hearing him in, his approach to bass playing is totally different on those records!

As for Matt, I've said before, I think he's a good player and a fitting member of Joe's band. Can you imagine the size of the shoes that guy has to fill? Imagine having to replace Wooten in The Flecktones, Sheehan in Vai's band, I'd even go as far as to say Jaco in Weather Report (Victor Bailey, we salute you!) since I'm a very dedicated Stu hamm fan!
  13. Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Good point!

And that´s what i really like about Matt´s playing. He doesn´t try to be Stu. He ad´s a really nice rock solid groove
    to Joe´s flying guitars. Laidback, tasteful and sporting one of the best tones i´ve ever heard. Listen to "Is there love in space" by JS with a good pair of headphones and you´ll hear a grinding, dark, clean tone to die for. No flashy lick´s. Just good solid playing.
    Big Stu fan but Matt´s pull the strings for me IMHO

Take care and beware of tinnitus!

14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

Just announced in Milwaukee on April 12th. BX3 with;

Me thinks I'll be in attendance
  15. sully812

Mar 12, 2006
    BX3 is playing in NYC on April 21st at B.B. King's Blues Club. Ticketmaster has tix starting today. I may drive down from Canada to check it out. :bassist:
  16. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What's BX3?
  17. threshar

Jul 30, 2002

18. Yeh a few bassists have done that. I was talking to Rob Little (played with Tommy Emanuel sp?) the other day, he says the reason he quit was because his daughter believed that he lived in her TV.
  19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Matt Bissonette, Stu Hamm both bring their own thing to the table. I dig Matt's groove behind Satriani, and Stu we all know is great with Joe, but don't underestimate Dave LaRue......he's a badass!!!
  20. RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think its Dave LaRue because they had met each other during G3. Stu is currently doing that Bx3 (G3 but for bassists) with Billy Sheehan and Jeff Berlin ( )

Dave LaRue is awesome thought - watched the rehersal footage for the collosal tour and he seems to fit in really well. His hair looks like hes stolen that of Steve Harris's. Awesome.

P.s. got 3rd row seats for Satch when he comes here :)