Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joe Satrianni on the bass??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by leomilani, Sep 10, 2002.

1. hello fellas
    a friend of mine said that joe satriani played the bass on the Live in San Francisco CD. I doubted it, but I can't seem to find the mp3 of this song, and find out if it is realy joe or the bassist of his band that plays...
    does anyone knows?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    joe satriani played a lot of the recorded bass tracks for his albums, but they're not the lines that you think that would be...the basslines he plays are actually quite simple. some of the more amazing stuff was done by stu hamm.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I seriously doubt Satriani plays the bass on any LIVE CD.

4. oh, i've finally found the mp3
    it seems that in the end, joe says something like "blablabla on the xxx guitar"
    since I don't know how to pronounce bass in english (my english is not so good =P), I don't know if he says bass guitar, or base guitar (shouldn't it be rithym guitar?)
    could someone check it for me plz?
    (it is the Bass Solo track, no guitar in it)

5. On the DVD that the CD if from it is Stu

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's usually Stu. Joe's pretty raw on bass, but his bass playing can be effective on the right tune, eg. "House of Bullets."

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I actually like Joe's bass playing on the studio albums that he plays on. DEFINITELY the "guitarrist playing bass" vibe, but that works for his music.

8. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    since i actually have the dvd of live in sf sitting right here, i will confirm that it is indeed stu hamm on bass...

jdkh

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    "Bass guitar" is pronounced "Base guitar".