1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Joe Solomon Jazz Workshop 15 January

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    First let me thank all those of you who participated in last month's fantastic Trumpet Symposium. It is now my pleasure to invite you to join me and four truly remarkable female jazz improvisors for a gathering on January 15 which promises to be both inspiring and instructive.
    Pianist Connie Crothers, who I've known since we were both students of Lennie Tristano in the late sixties, is among the most serious musicians I've ever encountered. Connie's passionate pursuit of her own unique path has led her into a realm often described as "avant garde" but also clearly rooted in the tradition that stretches back to Louis Armstrong. Not only is Jan Leder one of the few jazz improvisors for whom the flute is her primary, and if I'm not mistaken, only instrument, but she is also one of the only jazz flutists who really sounds to me like she is playing jazz. As with all great jazz improvisors, the instrument is secondary. Jan's line is always inventive and swings like crazy. Lena Bloch has assimilated influences from many sources, as her bio would suggest, both musical and non-musical, and arrived at a uniquely feminine approach to improvising on the tenor saxophone which clearly reflects her debt to her teacher, Lee Konitz, but also produces music of great beauty (I hope she doesn't mind me describing it as "ethereal") that is all her own. Finally, Alexa Fila, is one of a VERY small handful of vocalists whom other jazz musicians actually look forward to jamming with. A true improvisor who, like her idol Billie Holiday, while sticking to the lyrics (and indeed staying true to their meaning) manages to improvise a different hip and swinging melodic line with each chorus. Alexa is the rare singer who truly inspires musicians who make music with her.
    I am really looking forward to this event and urge all of you to take advantage of the opportunity to be part of it. Please download the attached flyer for all the details and for some more information on these fine artists
    - joe

4greatladies2.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Bump for timeliness...

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Connie Crothers is a freaking force of nature!