Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joe Strummer dead!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, Dec 23, 2002.

1. BBC News report

"Joe Strummer, the leader of legendary Seventies punk band The Clash, has died aged 50."

"A post mortem examination is to be performed on Monday to confirm the cause of death, which a friend of the singer said was a heart attack."

:(

I don't think I can say anything, I'll miss him and his music

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - there have been lots of tributes on the radio today. Many people have mentioned how Joe Strummer was really the one person who made Punk a political movement.

So - of course they were influenced by some US Bands - but these were often ambiguous politically and were more about hedonism, than anything else.

I saw Joe leading the Clash in several benefits for political causes in London - Rock against Racism, Anti-Nazi League etc. I think this anti-racist element brought in the Reggae bands to share the bill with the Clash adn lead to the situation where you got punk and Regge mixed for the second wave of Ska - Two Tone etc.

The Clash were also involved in many protests against the Thatcher (conservative) government and as a student I found myself on loads of demonstrations where Joe Strummer was the leading light.

I think he will be missed as the first person to really bring politics to the fore in punk music and use its energy and violence as a protest to address real issues.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This sux!
    "Them that say ghettology is an urban Vietnam.
    Give in to the exhibition of murder we make bombs!"

"This is Radio Clash, tearing up the seven bells.
    This is Radio Clash, please save us, not the whales."

RIP

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    This is really sad news - I've been listening to the tributes on the radio today, and although they are always glowing at a time like this, a heck of a lot of people were saying the same kinds of things about him being open hearted, friendly, passionate about music etc.

It's a real shame whenever we lose musical pioneers, and the Clash were certainly the intellegent alternative to the Pistols in the Punk explosion, probably having more in common with Dylan than the usual perceived anticedents of Punk, the MC5, New York Dolls etc...

He'll be missed

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.stevelawson.net
    www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk
    www.solobassnetwork.org.uk

5. Man that's sad indeed. :( I just heard it on the radio and I was shocked. Even the local nu-metal station is playing Clash songs.

6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Damn, way too young. Another childhood hero of mine....gone forever.

"The police walked in for Jimmy Jazz
    I said, he aint here, but he sure went past
    Oh you're looking for Jimmy Jazz, jazz, jazz..."

7. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    One of my all time favorites. Strummer's political intelligent music remains fresh to this day.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

10. oh jeez. no.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    First Mary Hansen, now Joe Strummer. I'm very bummed.

I really appreciated the overall intelligence of the Clash's music. And the coolness, too, like "The Magnificent Seven," "Armagideon Day," "London Calling," etc.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Just ....crap. my friend got me into them a while back..... Sorry to hear about this.:(

13. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    my grade 9 english teacher introduced me to the Clash last year. good taste in music, thats pretty much all i liked about him (my teacher).

RIP Mr. Strummer

14. :(

...but I was perplexed by some his behaviour recently- eg. attacking cameras filming him and his band (at Glastonbury?), also becoming unnecessarily aggressive towards an interviewer at an awards ceremony :confused:

15. This is sad news. Very sad news.

16. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    joe strummer was one of main reason i picked up the electric guitar.. =/ this is very sad..
    now i just hope frank black and stephen egerton dont die anytime.. gosh.. this is sad.. all my heros are dying lately.. *tear*
    First John Entwistle, now Joe Strummer =/ =/ =/

17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It's pretty sad when a guy can listen to a rock radio station all day long (3:30 am - 2 pm) and has to find out about Joe Strummer's passing via the Internet!

18. Damn, damn, damn.
    First time in probably 10 years that I have heard this much Clash on the radio, and this is the reason why.

Damn.