1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Joe Walsh's Barnstorm

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Low84, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    For me, this is a recent find of an older less-known gem. The bass playing by Kenny Passarelli is solid and fantastic... but wow, the album is SO FREAKIN' GOOD!!! Production, songwriting, performance, Joe's solos... it's just pure audio deliciousness.

If you're unfamiliar and want to sample, go to YouTube and check out "Turn To Stone," "Here We Go" and "Birdcall Morning."

After several unsuccessful attempts to locate a reasonably priced copy on CD, I caved and picked it up on Google Music. They've got a great copy at 320 kbps.

Highly recommended!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...got this LP for Christmas, 1973.
    Chuck Rainey plays on a couple of tracks.
    I thought "...who's this guy"?

:)

Anyway this is a very good listening album. Even back then, I played entire albums (while reading the liners...or sitting in the dark under black lights). :)
    I like "Mother Says", too.
    This album gave me an appreciation for Joe Vitale.
    The 2 albums after Barnstorm are also noteworthy.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    JMacBass65, bassbrad and Low84 like this.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just looked...it's $13 at Amazon.
    $9.93 at importcds.com

Low84 likes this.
  4. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks, JimK!!! :)

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still have the LP & I bought the cd awhile ago.
    I did see some yutz at Amazon asking about $300...why?!?!

I'm like you, though. If there is something I really want & the cd is crazy money...I will take a chance on a cheap digital copy until I find the real thing. Sometimes, things get re-issued at a reasonable price.
    Recently, Ten Years After cds just became available again for around $9. Prior to this, some resellers were asking crazy money for those same albums.

jerry likes this.
  6. The Smoker, So What and Barnstorm were constantly in play in my lonely room and car back in the day.

JimK likes this.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jim already knows this but, if you already know the members of a band and don't need much in the way of credits, Amazon has a series called Original Album Classics where you can get five albums by a legacy artist for under 20 bucks. On topic, all of Walsh's solo stuff had badass bassists.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks for the heads-up. I am digging this album.

9. Barnstorm is one if my Favorite albums of all time.
    One of Joe's best.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What's the thinking on the redux of "Turn To Stone"...?

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just picked up 2 sets-
    1. Graham Central Station (needed their 3rd, 4th, & 5th albums). Great Sly/Family Stone-influenced stuff.
    2. Doobies, Set 2...of the 5 discs, only needed the Farewell Tour album. This album by itself is OOP & expensive. The 5-disc set was only $15.

jerry likes this.
  12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A)

Or...

B)

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jim, I noticed Amazon has added a series called '5 Original Albums' that has a lot of Blue Note stuff for under 20 bucks. Sorry for the derail.....

JimK likes this.