1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Joe Zawinul, Weather Report, Weather Update & Zawinul Syndicate ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Ladies, gentlemen and fellows all at TalkBass ...
    I recently re-discovered the music of Joe Zawinul and of his bands.
    I personally believe that Zawinul has been able to combine the musical spirits of various areas in the world ... the American jazz culture of the late 60s, the European taste for the contamination of musical styles of the same period, reference to ethnic and world music etc...
    Joe's music is always a happy and joyful one for ... I used to go out and run some time ago listening to a random selection of Joe's and Weather Report's composition and it was fantastic; many times we have spoken about how wonderful was Weather Report's period with Jaco, but honestly I like a lot the first experimentations with Miroslav and Alphonse, the rhythm of Procession with the great Victor Bailey and the concerts with Victor, Omar Hakim and Steve Khan (great guitarist) ... I'd like to salute Joe and to hear your opinions in this regard.
    Joe's music undoubtedly helped me in expanding my musical horizons.

s0707, bassbrad, csc2048b and 5 others like this.
  2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Agree that all of those lineups were great, not only the Jaco period.

That said, though, Montreaux 1976 (with Jaco) has long been one of my top few concert videos of all time.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Like Joe Z...a lot. One of my favourite all-time musicians. Eclectic to say the least.
    Sometimes, though, WR became the Joe/Jaco show...rendering Wayne Shorter into almost a non-member.
    Sometimes, the synth sounds were crap. Hated the cheesiness of them back then...now they almost make the music unlistenable.
    YMMV.

Bob_Ross, Tom Bomb, csc2048b and 2 others like this.
  4. Yes, not all he did was top notch and yes, sometimes Wayne was overlwhelmed but their music was memorable...
    I wish they could stay together more time ...

5. nbsipics

nbsipics Used to be a Dead Guy Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    The Jaco movie sheds a lot of light on the Joe/Jaco relationship. Joe really dissed Jaco towards the end. But I have a deep respect for what Joe achieved over the years. And I love to hear him talk :)

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of my favorite musicians of all time, my favorite version of Weather Report was with Alphonso. In 1974 when everybody else were listening to Dark Side Of The Moon album as their favorite headphone album I was loving Mystrious Traveler as my headphones album. In my top five of best albums ever!

7. oren

oren Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago
    I agree that the Alphonso period of WR is underrated. Take Spinnin' is a terrific record. I also really like Sweetnghter, which is the last album Miroslav Vitous played on. And there was a Japanese release of the entire show that was excerpted on one side of I Sing The Body Electric that is well worth finding.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Miroslav has 1 track on Mysterious Traveler…and 1/2 a photo.
    :)

oren likes this.
  10. Aahhwww... you're right ... Mysterious Traveller is also my favourite now that I think about four songs that I have listened to more often than the others ..+1

11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I have a live CD of the Zawinul Syndicate, with (IRRC) Lindley Marte (sp?) on bass. Great stuff.

funkinbottom and JimK like this.
  12. jeffbassguy

jeffbassguy "Less is more, unless the guitarist sucks" Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2001
    connecticut
    some of the stuff with richard bona and paco sery is at a completely different level of amazing

13. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    It's a shame this music has all but disappeared. Really nothing coming out in the last few years in the Jazz Fusion genre. I think the legends (Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Stanley Clark) still release stuff, but no new acts coming out in the Jazz Fusion genre. At least not in the USA.

14. big_fundamental

big_fundamental

Oct 3, 2016
    Fusion does still exist and may be going through a rebirth. It's not really like Zawinul, but I saw CHON recently. Their latest release is about a week old and is still guitar-heavy but sounds pretty fusion to me:
    Homey - YouTube

Interesting thing is the young crowd likes it. Moshing and all that. Seemed odd but I ignored it and listened to the show. Only gripe was the bass was too low in the mix live, the guy is pretty good. The guitars crush it though. and the drummer was amazing.

Polyphia is also worth a listen:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  15. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks, Jim. That's excellent stuff. I'm with Joe, all the way :) - from the link,

"Man, I am a pop musician and a jazz musician. I think jazz is great because it is the music with the most spark, the most freshness. I think jazz is the pop music of the future."
    Joe Zawinul

That's the way it is :)

JimK likes this.
  16. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    JimK likes this.
  17. jamro217

jamro217

Apr 12, 2013
    I liked his early work with Cannonball Adderley. There are a few black and white concert videos from the '60's on YouTube. Great stuff, including the original version of 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy', which was written by Joe.

JimK likes this.
  18. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Some of my favorite Joe stuff is with Trilok Gurtu.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and the early Syndicate albums had Gerald Veasley on bass.

Ewo likes this.
  20. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Check out Jimmy Herring (who's resume includes Lenny White, Jazz is Dead, and Widespread Panic), Alex Masacheck (? spelling), jam band Garaj Mahal (with Kai Eckhardt and Fareed Haque), Flying Lotus has been working with Herbie Hancock, even Squarepusher has more than a little fusion hidden under his hood.

Also along those same lines is Animals as Leaders. Tosin Abasi uses that Zawinul root-perfect fifth-Major sixth chord voicing all over the place. Plus so much of his slapping and 2 handed tapping style come almost directly from bassists.

C/S,
    Rev J

Tom Bomb likes this.